Academic Skills at Trent Durham is dedicated to helping students develop their capacity to succeed at university. We offer one-on-one and small group appointments as well as independent and in-class workshops related to all aspects of academic work, including writing, study skills, time management and organization, note-taking, and critical reading. Our services are available to all students at Trent Durham.
Book an Appointment
- Go to the Student Experience Portal
- Login using your myTrent username and password
- Click on “Durham GTA Campus Appointment Bookings” on the left side of the screen
For Math and Statistics academic skills support, please contact Darren Nesbitt at email@example.com
In Person, Synchronous/Zoom and Asynchronous/Email Appointments
During the fall 2022 session, appointments will be offered in person, synchronously via Zoom, or asynchronously via Email. In person appointments will take place at the Durham GTA campus. In person and Synchronous appointments are appropriate for support with math and statistics, organizational and study skills, or planning and strategizing with regard to assignments and papers. If you have completed a draft and would like written feedback on grammar, style, and structure, please book an asynchronous appointment and follow the instructions to submit your work in order to receive feedback via Email.
For math and statistics support please contact Darren Nesbitt at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. For all other Academic Skills support, including help with organizational and study skills, planning and strategizing for written assignments, or feedback on completed drafts, please use our online booking system at ccr.trentu.ca to make an appointment with Pamela MacIsaac.
Academic Skills Online Resources
- Annotated Bibliographies
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- Basics of Effective Studying
- Essay Basics 3: Drafting and Editing
- Essay Basics 2: The Second Pre-Writing Stage
- Essay Basics 1: The First Pre-Writing Stage
- Efficient and Critical Reading #2
- Efficient and Critical Reading #1
- Forming Good Habits
- Self-Editing Checklist
- Writing an Academic Review
- Quick Tip: Creating a Block Schedule
- Orientation - Online Learning Pro Tips Presentation
- Infographic: Common Grammar Errors
An assortment of online academic resources are available, including
- Online Documentation Guide: What to Cite and How to Cite it
- Thinking it Through: Essay-Writing Guide
- Study Skills for University
- Exam Preparation
- Referencing, Formatting and Avoiding Plagiarism
- Grammar and Clear Writing
- Essays, Writing Assignments and Presentations
- Resources for Math and Sciences
Resources from our Peer Resource Assistant
A message for Trent Durham students
Hello everyone, my name is Charlotte and I am the Peer Resource Assistant (PRA) for the fall term. A little about me: I am currently a student at Trent University Durham in my third year studying psychology. I chose Trent University Durham to stay close to home with my family, and my dog Aspyn! I love to go for hikes, enjoy cooking, and love spending time with my friends and family. I am excited for the fall term, and what this year has in store!
As the Peer Resource Assistant, I will be updating and posting academic resources and helpful tips. These resources are to support students throughout the academic term and give students topics which can be helpful with academic skills. I will also be providing resources to assist with navigating Student Accessibility Services (SAS).
My goal this semester is to provide students with beneficial tips and resources that will help with their academic term and be able to use these resources further on. If you have any questions or anything you would like to see, please feel free to contact me via email at email@example.com. I look forward to hearing from you!