The Postgraduate Certificate in Accounting is available to students who hold an undergraduate degree not in accounting from any accredited university. This program will be of interest to recent graduates wishing to pursue a professional career in accounting. The Postgraduate Certificate in Accounting covers all prerequisite undergraduate courses required by CPA Ontario. Upon successful completion of the certificate, students will be able to work in the accounting field, enroll in accredited graduate programs in accounting, and/or enroll in the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) as they continue their pursuit towards their CPA designation. Internationally educated applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with CPA Ontario’s assessment process for evaluating the applicant’s undergraduate degree(s). Link to CPA Ontario.
Entry Term: January 2023, September 2023 on the Trent University Peterborough campus only
Duration: Available for full time studies only
Program Completion Requirements: Completion of 9.0 credits as specified
No transfer credits awarded.
For more information visit our Admissions webpage
To apply to this post-graduate certificate, please complete this application form.
Graduating From Trent This Year?
As a 2022 Trent grad*, you qualify for direct admission to our Postgraduate Certificate program. No need to pay to apply. Registering is easy – just send a confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your Trent University account. We will also waive the application fee. For more information about this special offer, visit call 1-888-739-8885.
*this certificate is meant for non-Business program graduates, as there is too much course overlap for graduates of Trent’s BBA program.
Courses Postgraduate Certificate Accounting
The certificate program consists of the following 9.0 credits:
- 7.0 ADMN credits consisting of ADMN 1221H, 3021H, 3121H, 3200H, 3221H, 3250H, 3321H, 3710H, 4030H, 4300H, 4301H, 4302H, 4303H, and 4710H
- 1.5 ECON credits consisting of ECON 1010H, 1020H, and 2200H
- 0.5 COIS credit consisting of COIS 1620H
- A minimum cumulative average of 65% is required to complete the certificate
- CPA Ontario requires students to have a grade of 50% or higher in each of the non-core courses (ADMN 1221H, 3021H, ECON 1010H, 1020H, 2200H, 3250H, and COIS 1620H) and a grade of 60% or higher in each of the core courses (ADMN 3221H, 3321H, 4303H, 4030H, 3121H, 4302H, 4301H, 3200H, 4300H, 3710H, and 4710H). Students must also have an overall average of 65% in the core courses for admission into the CPA PEP.
- For individual course descriptions, see University Calendar. Please consult the academic timetable, for information on when courses will be scheduled.
- It is important to register in your courses without delay and prior to your arrival!
Breakdown of courses by term
Students should follow the schedule outlined below for course selection in each term. Please do not vary from this schedule. The courses are scheduled according to timetable availability.
Required Courses Within the 4 (four) Term Postgraduate Certificate
- ADMN 1221H Financial Accounting
- ECON 1010H Micro-Economics
- ECON 1020H Macro-Economics
- ECON 2200H Introduction to Statistics
- COIS 1620H Information Systems
- ADMN 3021H Managerial Accounting
- ADMN 3200H Financial Management
- ADMN 3221H Intermediate Financial Accounting
- ADMN 3250H Legal Environment of Business
- ADMN 3710H Taxation - Individual
- ADMN 3321H Intermediate Financial Accounting II
- ADMN 4030H Strategic Management
- ADMN 4301H Auditing
- ADMN 3121H Intermediate Management Accounting
- ADMN 4300H Financial Management II
- ADMN 4710H Taxation - Corporate
- ADMN 4302H Advanced Management Accounting
- ADMN 4303H Advanced Financial Accounting
For students who have accepted their offer of admission and have questions about registering in their courses or life at Trent, please email email@example.com.