Students can choose to specialize in one of ten distinct specializations as part of their Honours degree:
- Accounting (see note below re CPA) (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Economics (available Peterborough campus only)
- Entrepreneurship (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Ethics & Sustainability (available Peterborough campus only)
- Finance (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Global Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Social Change (available Peterborough campus only)
- Human Resource Management (see note below re HRPA) (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Information Systems & E-Commerce (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Marketing & Consumer Culture (available Peterborough and Durham campuses)
- Niigaaniiwin- The Art of Leading (available Peterborough campus only)
Whether you are declaring your major for the first time, or if you have already declared your major and want to change it, you can use the ‘Change of Major’ form on myTrent to do so (myTrent, academics tab, forms tab). It is the same form to add a BBA specialization, declare a joint-major, or declare a minor.
For course planning and academic advising, check out the School of Business advising website.
View the University calendar for more information.
NOTE - Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA)
Students planning on pursuing their CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation, must ensure that they have taken all of the courses required for the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) with a certain grade. More information can be found on the CPA Ontario website. A Specialization in Accounting is not the same as CPA PEP. Students will need to take additional courses beyond the Specialization in Accounting in order to meet the CPA PEP course requirements.
NOTE – Human Resources Professional Association (HRPA) / Human Resources Professional Designation (HRPD)
Upon successful completion of the courses associated with the Specialization in Human Resource Management, students will have satisfied all of the course requirements for the "Certified Human Resources Professional Designation" and be eligible to write the National Knowledge Exam. By Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) standards, successful completion is a minimum grade of 65% in each course and an overall average of 70% of all required courses. In order to take the National Knowledge Exam, students must be enrolled as a member of the Human Resources Professional Association which involves a monetary fee to the Association. The "Certified Human Resources Professional Designation" is a legislated certification for Human Resources Professionals in North America. Currently, the HRPA requires the completion of nine subject areas and Trent now offers all of these within the Specialization in Human Resource Management. More information can be found on the HRPA website.