Senior Police Leadership – Micro-credential Certificate
The new Micro-credential Certificate in Senior Police Leadership is a purposefully designed education program that fills in the knowledge gaps needed of current and future police leaders. This unique program is designed to provide police leaders with the specific skills, knowledge, and assets they need to provide effective leadership within today’s complex police services. Taught by teaching teams of academics and serving or retired senior police leaders, this program brings together uniformed and civilian members to create and learn best practices from an effective, unified policing team.
Earn your certificate in less than 12 Months & on your schedule
This new certificate is attained through the completion of six module blocks delivered through two 3-hour long online sessions per week for six weeks. The full micro-credential certificate can be completed in under 12 months (view the full module schedule). The flexibility and accessibility of the program also allows learners to start the modules at a time convenient to them with a variety of start date options. Learners are also able to complete modules on their own schedule and from the convenience of home.
How To Apply
Visit here to apply/register.
To be eligible for this program, candidates must satisfy one of the following:
- An active police officer with the rank of sergeant, or who has been successful in the promotion process and is awaiting promotion (a member of a lower rank may apply but must provide evidence of progressive leadership responsibility);
- An active civilian supervisor of a police service;
- An active member of the executive or a supervisory staff member of a police association (a supervisory staff member must be endorsed in writing by a representative of the executive of the police association); or
- A member of a police services board or supervisory staff member on the staff of a police services board.
2023/2024 Program Schedule
- September 12 to October 19 - Foundations
- October 31 to December 7 - Leadership Skills
- January 9 to February 6 - Applied and Informed Decision-making Principles
- February 20 to March 28 - Governance and Civilian Oversight
- April 9 to May 16 - Policing Operations
Online through Trent University Durham GTA
Graduate with an understanding of the complex accountability, legal, and governance frameworks of police services and police services boards – skills and knowledge that cannot be attained through career assignments alone.
- Durham GTA
- Graduate with an understanding of the complex accountability, legal, and governance frameworks of police services and police services boards – skills and knowledge that cannot be attained through career assignments alone
- Police Chief
- Command Officer
- Staff Sergeant
- Civilian Senior Management
- Foundations Course: Leadership Roles, Efficacy, and Identity (required)
- Leadership Skills for Senior Police Leaders (required)
- Principles of Decision-making (required)
- Governance and Civilian Oversight (required)
- Policing Operations (required)
- Human Resources for Senior Police Leaders (required)
- Must be an active member of a police service with a rank of sergeant or above. Letter of support from your senior officer also required. Transfer credits not eligible for this certificate.
#1 Undergrad University
Where urban vibe meets close-knit community.Visit Trent Durham GTA
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Tell us more about yourself and we’ll tell you all the reasons you belong at Trent.Stay in Touch