College Transfer Student
Trent is a Leader in Transfer Credits
Completing a university degree opens doors and expands your options. With many transfer agreements and flexible pathway options, Trent University is a leader in helping students achieve degree completion goals.
Many of our students say they knew Trent was right for them when they saw our campuses for the first time. See for yourself through our new virtual campus experiences.
Applying to university marks an exciting milestone in a student's life and doesn't have to be a daunting task. Whether you're applying to a program at the Peterborough campus or our Durham Greater Toronto Area campus, your next steps are outlined below.
Two ways to apply:
1. Apply directly to Trent and we will waive the application fee. Are you a Canadian student, not currently enrolled at an Ontario high school? Our direct application makes it fast and easy for you to apply. Once you have completed the direct application, we will be in touch through email with details on how to set up your MyTrent account.
International Students: Please apply through the Trent International application. International applications submitted through the domestic direct application will not be processed.
Applicants who have completed at least one semester in a recognized Canadian community college, with a cumulative average of 65% (2.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0) will be considered for admission to Trent University. Two-semesters of many college program courses can be used to satisfy pre-requisites (i.e. Two-semesters of college Chemistry can satisfy the Chemistry requirement).
The following programs require a higher minimum average for admission:
|Program||Minimum Admission Average*||Pre-requisite Courses ("pass" required unless otherwise indicated)|
|Bachelor of Arts & Science||70%|
|Bachelor of Environmental Science/Studies||70%|
|Biomedical Science||70%||Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics|
Chemistry, Physics, Math
Minimal transfer credits
|Computing Systems Co-op||80%||
Applicant Essay due by February 1
Max. 5.0 transfer credits
|Conservation Biology Placement / Co-op||75%||
Biology, Chemistry, Math
Max. 5.0 transfer credits
|Criminology**||70%||No transfer credits|
|Environmental Geoscience||70%||Chemistry, Math|
|Forensic Science/Biology/Chemistry||70%||Biology, Chemistry, Math|
|Kinesiology||70%||Biology, Chemistry, Math|
|Law & Arts/BBA Dual Degree||80%||Minimal transfer credits|
|Logistics & Supply Chain Management**||70%||
No transfer credits
|Medical Professional Stream||80%||
Autobiographical Sketch due February 1
Max. 5.0 transfer credits
|Nursing||75%||Minimum 70% in English. Minimum 65% in Biology, Chemistry and Math, successful completion of CASPer test|
|Teacher Education Stream||70%||Max. 5.0 transfer credits|
|Policing & Community Well-Being||70%||Max. 5.0 transfer credits|
|Financial Analytics||70%||Max. 5.0 transfer credits|
*Minimum admissions average does not guarantee admission; these are competitive capped programs, so the competitive average can fluctuate year to year depending on the applicant pool.
**This program is new for September 2021 and is currently pending Ministry approval. Since first-year courses will begin in September 2021, and upper-year courses will not roll out until each consecutive year, we cannot admit students with transfer credits to these programs for September 2021. Beginning September 2022, transfer students with no more than 5.0 transfer credits can be considered for admission.
• A minimum grade of 70% is required in any college course to be considered for course-by-course transfer credit assessment
• Two-year academic programs are typically eligible for up to 5.0 transfer credits
• Three-year academic programs are typically eligible for up to 7.5 transfer credits
• All applications are assessed for transfer credit eligibility on an individual basis
You can search Trent's transfer credit database in order to review some of the transfer credits that you may be eligible for. The transfer credit database is a listing of courses that Trent has previously evaluated for equivalency. Please note: If you do not see your course listed in the transfer credit database, it probably means that we have not had an opportunity to previously evaluate your course for a transfer credit equivalency. You may be requested to submit course syllabi.
Transfer credits outlined in the specific agreements listed below supersede the transfer credits outlined in the transfer credit database.
Now that you've taken your first step and applied to Trent University you might be wondering what's next? To give you a sense of the timeline, we've highlighted in our "Next Steps" page what you can expect in the coming weeks and months. Be sure to track your application and review any outstanding documentation.
One of the next crucial steps in the application process for transfer students is submitting transcripts. We require all transcripts from your former post-secondary studies and your high school transcripts - if you have been out of high school for five years or less. Here are a few ways you can submit your transcripts to Trent.
- If you have applied directly to Trent using our direct application, you can submit unofficial copies of your transcripts by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you've applied to Trent using our direct application and are transferring from an Ontario University or College - you can also enter your transcripts through your MyTrent student portal using the Manually Entered Transcript icon. This icon can be found on the 'Academics' tab under the 'Admissions' sub-heading. *Please note that unofficial transcripts are accepted on the condition that official transcripts will be submitted prior to the student's intended start date.
- You can request your official transcripts from your post-secondary institution to be sent to Trent. Check with your post-secondary institution on how to request a transcript.
- In some cases, you can request your post-secondary transcript through OUAC to be sent electronically to Trent.
Students who have extenuating circumstances that have affected their grades and wish to disclose this information - can do so by completing Trent's Extenuating Circumstances form. This form can be found in the MyTrent student portal, under the Academics tab.
Congratulations on receiving your offer of admissions. Just a few more steps to follow to make it official! Check out the list of steps here.
Once your acceptance to Trent is official, you can immerse yourself in our outstanding community of scholars, dedicated to collaboration and interaction among students, professors, and across disciplines. As a student, you will expand your thinking, gain valuable skills, create lifelong friendships and, open the door to a world of possibility and the career of your dreams.
Transfer Credit Process
- Your transfer credit evaluation begins as soon as you have received an offer to Trent. We compare your completed post-secondary credits to our Transfer Credit database to provide a preliminary transfer credit assessment. You can view these transfer credits using the Transfer Credit icon under the 'Academics' tab of your MyTrent student portal.
- If it appears that you could be eligible for more transfer credits, you will receive an email asking you to provide us with course syllabi. The syllabi are sent to email@example.com
- When we receive your course syllabi, they are reviewed by the relevant faculty member for a possible Trent equivalent. The results of that evaluation are posted to your academic record (Transfer Credit icon). Please note that this process can take a few weeks.
- When your transfer credit evaluation has been completed, the "Notifications" section of your MyTrent portal will inform you of this.
- Once your transfer credits are assessed, you can make an appointment with an Academic Advisor - who will help you plan your academic program and select your course. For more information, please visit Trent's Academic Advising webpage.
Congratulations! Now that you're officially #TrentUBound, there are a few things that you need to know before you get here, Don't worry, we will help keep you organized. Here you'll find useful information that is sure to keep your journey smooth, allowing you to stride with ease throughout your transition to Trent.