Expedited Approvals are governed by Trent University's Institutional Program Quality Assurance Policy (IQAP), require the approval by the Quality Council, and include the following:
- Graduate Fields
- For-Credit Graduate Diplomas
Institutions may choose to submit Major Modifications for Expedited Approval. GSC Chair should consult with the Office of the Provost if they believe a Major Modification should be sent to Quality Council for Expedited Approval.
Area of specialization or concentration that is related to the demonstrable and collective strengths of the program’s faculty. Institutions are not required to declare fields at either the master’s or doctoral level.
Proposal will include:
- Rationale for the introduction of the new Field;
- Explanation of the appropriateness of the name of the new Field;
- Identify courses linked to the New Field;
- faculty whose research expertise supports the new Field; and
- explanation of how leaning outcomes of the graduate degree program have been changed.
Process will involve:
- Completion of proposal documentation
- Evidence of consultation
- Review and approval by Graduate Studies Committee (GSC); GSC may request modifications or recommendations
- Approval by Senate
- Submission (by Office of Provost) to Quality Council for Expedited Approval
Graduate For-Credit Graduate Diplomas
- Quality Council's Description of Diploma Types (PDF)
- Type 1 – Awarded when a candidate admitted to a master’s program leaves the program after completing a certain proportion of the requirements. Students are not admitted directly to these programs.
- Type 2 – Offered in conjunction with a master’s or doctoral degree; admission to which requires that the candidate be already admitted to the master’s or doctoral program. This represents an additional, usually interdisciplinary, qualification.
- Type 3 – A stand-alone, direct-entry program, generally developed by a unit already offering a related master’s (and sometimes) doctoral degree, and designed to meet the needs of a particular clientele or market.
(Template under development)
|Step 1||Initial approval by PPG to develop full program proposal|
|Step 2||Development of Proposal including evidence of consultation|
|Step 3||Review by Graduate Studies Committee (GSC)|
|Step 4||Review & Approval by Academic Planning & Budget Committee (AP&B)|
|Step 5||Approval by Senate|
|Step 6||Submission to Quality Council (by Office of Provost)|
- Expedited approvals are not subject to external review by disciplinary experts
- Once approved, new-for-credit diplomas will be subject to cyclical review with their parent program
Questions related to expedited approval should be directed to:
Manager, Office of the Provost & VP Academic
705-748-1011 ext. 6225