Documentation Requirements

Students must provide SAS with current documentation regarding their disability-related needs in order to determine an appropriate accommodation plan. SAS accommodates both permanent and temporary disabilities. It is understood that appropriate documentation occasionally takes time to obtain. SAS can set up interim accommodations while an assessment is pending, or when waiting for documentation to be forwarded to our office.

For all students, documentation must come from an accredited diagnosing health professional experienced in the field of the student’s disability. 


Students with Physical, Mental Health, Sensory or Chronic Health Disabilities:

Students receiving/applying for OSAP are directed to OSAP's 'Disability Verification Form' for completion. OSAP-eligible students must provide the SAS office with an OSAP Disability Verification Form (.pdf) is completed by a qualified professional.

Students who are not receiving OSAP may use the SAS Disability Documentation Form (.pdf), to be completed by a qualified professional. 

Qualified professionals include:

  • Physician
  • Neurologist
  • Audiologist
  • Ophthalmologist
  • Psychologist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Neuropsychologist
  • Other medical practitioner who is authorized to provide a clinical diagnosis

For students with temporary disabilities, note that SAS may require an annual update of documentation.


Students with a Learning Disability:

SAS requires a copy of your latest psycho-educational assessment report, completed by a Registered Psychologist within the last 5 years. Also accepted is a letter from your assessor that outlines the functional limitations and recommended accommodations. An assessment report that was authored more than 5 years ago may also be acceptable, provided that the student was at least 18 years old when the assessment was completed.

The report must include all of the following:

  • A clear statement that the student has a specific learning disability;
  • Interview obtaining relevant background information and education records;
  • Formal intelligence test;
  • Formal measure of academic achievement;
  • Formal measure of information processing skills;
  • Evidence of functional impairment in academic performance;
  • Evidence that identified challenges are not better explained by other conditions or diagnoses; and
  • Recommendations and a summary of the areas of need in an academic context.

An IEP may be submitted as part of a student’s documentation; however, this is not sufficient for providing ongoing accommodation at Trent University.


Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):

SAS requires a medical report from a health professional qualified to provide a diagnosis of ADHD, within the last 5 years. If a student was at least 18 years of age at the time of the assessment, an older report may be provided.

Qualified professionals include:

  • Psychiatrist
  • Psychologist with ADHD training or Psychological Associate
  • Neuropsychologist
  • A relevantly trained medical doctor

The report must include recommendations and a summary of the areas of need, in an academic context. A completed Disability Verification Form is also acceptable.

Questions? Contact us!