Welcome to Trent Counselling Services!
Although TCS staff are not currently providing face-to-face counselling sessions, we are working from remote locations, providing support either by phone or confidential video via Zoom. We are still here for you!
The COVID-19 virus is having a profound impact on the world. As a society, we are being bombarded daily with news reports, which are troubling, confusing and distressing. It is understandably generating significant stress and anxiety as individuals worry about their health, their jobs and the safety of friends and family members.
Humans appreciate and want a sense of control in their lives and in this chaotic time, we are all experiencing what can feel like a total loss of control. The need to engage in social distancing can also generate feelings of loneliness and isolation.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of anxiety, depression, loneliness or any other unwanted feelings or sensations, know that you are not alone.
If you have had contact with one of our TCS staff and wish to reconnect, please email your therapist directly via email to arrange an appointment (see list below). If you are new to TCS, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be assigned to a therapist for support. You can also access the I.M. Well services (1-877-234-5327 available 24/7) or use your extended Trent health benefits to access a private practitioner in your home community.
Thank you for your patience as we work to continue providing service remotely.
Please note: our summer hours are Monday-Thursday 8:30-4:30 and closed on Friday.
For immediate crisis support please contact 4 Counties Crisis (1-866-925-5454), Crisis Services Canada (1-833-456-4566), or access the emergency department at Peterborough Regional Hospital or your nearest hospital.
PRHC Virtual Care Clinic
Additionally, the Peterborough Regional Health Center is operating a Virtual Care Clinic during the COVID-19 pandemic in an effort to reduce to reduce the number of people coming into the hospital building.
If you need support for an urgent mental health crisis we invite you to call: 705-743-2121 extension 2054 Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays) 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. You will be connected with an Mental Health Clinician.
NEW! Virtual Group Drop-in Support
Cancelled Thursday, July 2 will resume Thursday, July 9
Trent Counselling Services is now offering virtual group drop-in sessions for students interested in accessing emotional and mental health support from counsellors and peers. This is a stressful time and this is intended to be a safe space for students to connect and receive support with the comfort of physical distancing. Topics are determined by you, but might include academic stress, challenges due to COVID-19, or general self-care.
This is not intended as a crisis resource. If you are in crisis please contact one of the following supports:
- Four Counties Crisis (Peterborough) 705-745-6484 or toll-free: 1-866-995-9933
- Crisis Services Canada 1-833-456-4566
How to connect?
1. Follow this link to Join the Zoom session from 3-4pm on Thursdays starting April 16 Password: trentu
2. Change your name if desired by going to Profile > Edit
3. Wait to be connected by one of Counselling Services’ hosts
4. Join in on the conversation!
Please keep in mind that due to the group format Trent Counselling Services cannot guarantee confidentiality for attendees. Please consider this when disclosing personal information and consider changing your name or not allowing the camera function in Zoom if this is of concern to you. If you prefer to connect with one of our counsellors one-on-one, please email email@example.com for more information on how to do that.
Our counsellors Brendan and Riley look forward to chatting with you Thursday between 3-4pm!
- Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454 – Good2Talk provides 24-hour confidential support services for post-secondary students in Ontario
- TAO Therapy Assisted Online - self-help provides Trent students with a way to learn strategies for well-being online at your own pace. You can learn problem-solving, relationship skills and mindfulness among other strategies.
- Big White Wall - is an online mental health and wellbeing service which offers self-help programs, creative outlets and online community support. It provides a safe and anonymous peer support community that is offered 24/7 and is moderated by clinical professionals.
- Depression Hurts is an online service provided by the Mood Disorders Society of Canada. It provides information, education, skills and strategies to help manage symptoms of depression
- Anxiety Canada provides a vast array of audio, video and other resources to help you understand and reduce anxiety.
- BounceBack® is a free skill-building program managed by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA). It is designed to help adults and youth 15+ manage low mood, mild to moderate depression and anxiety, stress or worry. Delivered over the phone with a coach and through online videos, you will get access to tools that will support you on your path to mental wellness.
- Bring Change 2 Mind is a non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging dialogue about mental health and to raising awareness, understanding and empathy. It was co-founded by actress and activist, Glenn Close, in 2010 after close family members were diagnosed with mental illnesses. It provides information, podcasts, shared stories and more.
Please remember – you are not alone. Reach out and connect in whatever way works best for you.