expand search

Current Students

4 students standing outside smiling at each other


As an international student in Canada, it is important to ensure that you are always adhering to immigration laws. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration documents are up-to-date. 

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the department of the Government of Canada which manages everything related to immigration. If you have any questions or concerns regarding documentation or your status in Canada visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website (www.cic.gc.ca). This will help you understand immigration policies, and your responsibilities as well as the policies and procedures for keeping your documents up to date.

If you are concerned about your immigration status or have questions about the process, please book an appointment with the International Student Advisor at www.trentu.ca/sep.

Jump to...

Study Permits

As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada, this means you will need a study permit (with very specific exceptions). Please learn more about applying for a study permit in Canada.

To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. You need to include the Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI#), which is the number that begins with the letter "O", on your application form. Trent University's DLI # is O19395164223.

If your study permit will expire while you are in Canada, you will need to renew it for the length of your program of studies. Learn how to renew your study permit at the Government of Canada: Extend Your Study Permit website.

Work Eligibility:

Please visit the Finances>Employment section of this website to review work eligibility for international students.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

All foreign nationals entering Canada as a temporary resident (ie. student) are required to obtain a visa, unless otherwise exempted. Please review the IRCC website to find out if you require a TRV or an eTA (see below).

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Foreign nationals that are exempt from a TRV (see above) may require an electronic travel authorization. It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying. Learn more on the IRCC eTA website.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. Learn more about eligibility and timelines for the PGWPP by visiting the Government of Canada: Stay in Canada after Graduation website. Trent International holds regular information sessions about the PGWP in the Trent student context, email international@trentu.ca for the dates!

Permanent Residency Options

If you are interested in permanent residency in Canada, we recommend learning more by visiting the Government of Canada Immigrating to Canada website. There are many options including federal permanent residency programs and provincial nominee programs. Trent International brings in a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) every semester to talk about pathways to permanent residency for international students. Email international@trentu.ca to find out the date of the next scheduled visit!​