Advising for International Students
- International Student Academic Advising
- International Student Immigration Advising
- International Advising Live Chats
- Degree Checks
- Book an appointment with an international advisor
An International Student Academic Advisor (ISAA) can support you in the following areas:
- Choosing or changing your program or major
- Understanding your degree/program requirements
- Understanding academic regulations and procedures
- Adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course
- Reviewing your academic progress
- Developing a plan to deal with academic difficulties (i.e., Academic Probation and Academic Suspension)
- Referral to other relevant campus services
An International Student Immigration Advisor (ISIA) can support you in the following areas:
- Providing immigration advice in the area of Study Permits, Temporary Resident Visas, and how Study Permits relate to other currently available Canadian immigration programs (co-op work permits, Post-Graduation Work Permits)
- Understanding your immigration requirements
- Understanding the immigration requirements for your dependents
- Explaining immigration application processes
- Understanding how your academics relate to immigration
- Referrals to additional immigration services and resources
Note:Trent University’s International Student Immigration Advisors cannot advise on permanent residency or citizenship, fill out immigration application forms on a student’s behalf, or represent students. Visit our Permanent Residence webpage for more information.
Ask an Academic Advisor
Ask an Immigration Advisor
Join our “ask an academic advisor live chat “every other Tuesday!
Live chats are an opportunity to ask any quick academic advising questions you might have.
Register to attend (coming soon).
Join our “ask an immigration advisor live chat” every other Monday!
Live chats are an opportunity to ask any quick immigration questions you might have.
|*Note these are group sessions. Please book an appointment for confidential conversations or for topics that require extensive time.|
Asynchronous Degree Checks
If you are in your final year and are looking to have a degree check done to confirm you are on the right track to graduation, please book an asynchronous degree check appointment.
You will be booked in on a particular day/time, but you do not need to be available during that time frame as this appointment will be asynchronous. The advisor will email you once they have completed your degree check.
To request a degree check, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Subject Line Text: Degree Check and your Student ID #
- Program - including major/joint-major, minors, specializations, and/or options
- General or Honours program
- Academic Calendar year you are following for your degree/program requirements
- Number of credits completed
If you have not already reviewed and completed the DIY Degree Check Tool on our website, please review before you contact advising for a degree check. You may find that you are already on track and identify which courses you need to complete to graduate next year.
**Please expect approximately two weeks after your scheduled degree check appointment to receive your completed degree check by email**
Advising is available Monday to Friday by appointment.
You can book an appointment with the International Student Academic Advisor or an International Student Immigration Advisor following these steps:
- Login to the Student Experience Portal www.trentu.ca/sep
- Select “Peterborough/Durham Campus Appointment Bookings” on the left-hand menu
- Select “Trent International”
- Select "Book by Appointment Type"
- Select either "Academic Advising" or "Immigration Advising"
- If booking immigration appointment, include study permit and passport expiry and include reason for appointment
- If booking academic appointment, explain in detail reason for appointment
- Select an appointment block and fill in the required information