University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
When you come to study or work at an Ontario university, you must have insurance to pay the cost of health care services and medical treatments. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health plan for all international non-residents studying or working at a participating university or affiliated college in Ontario.
UHIP applies to:
- international students studying in Ontario
- international employees working in Ontario who cannot get OHIP
- family members of international students and employees who are not eligible for OHIP
- Canadian employees or other individuals who are satisfying the OHIP waiting period
- short-term visitors associated with a participating university.
UHIP provides coverage for basic medical services and treatments you and your eligible dependents might need to maintain your health while living in Canada.
Further details regarding UHIP can be found at uhip.ca
- Undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan once they have registered for courses. Enrollment takes place at the beginning of each semester.
- Graduate students are registered based on term enrollment
- Employees are registered at the new employee information meeting
- Dependents are registered based on a request from the member
Proof of Coverage Request
- In person: Trent International Office, Symons Campus, Champlain College Room 302
- On-line: MyTrent>Support>Health and Wellness>UHIP to receive a PDF to your Trent University email account.
- Email email@example.com to receive a PDF sent to your Trent University email account
- Phone: 705-748-1011 extension 7306
- MySunlife account: uhip.ca/register-now
Health Insurance Options for you to research to determine if they are right for you include but not limited to:
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) with a 6 month minimum job
- Sun Life
- Student VIP International Contact: Samantha Morneau, 1.888.918.5056 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduating International Student Emergency Medical and Hospital Plan (1-888-509-7797)
- MSH International / StudyInsured™ (416-644-4870 or 1-888-386-8888 Toll Free)
- Student Guard (1-877-873-8447)
- Cowan Insurance Group (1-866-912-6926)
- Greenshield (1-888-711-1119)
- Great West Life
- Ontario Blue Cross
Extended Health and Dental Benefits
The Extended Health and Dental Benefit Plan is provided by your student organization and provides insurance coverage of non-UHIP services such as dental care, prescription medication, and more.