University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
When you come to study or work at an Ontario university and living in the province, you international students and employees must have a primary health insurance to pay the cost of health care services and medical treatments. The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health plan for all international non-residents studying or working at a participating university or affiliated college in Ontario.
UHIP is eligible to:
- International students studying in Ontario · international employees working in Ontario who cannot get OHIP
- Family members (spouse and children) of international students and employees who are not eligible for OHIP
- Canadian students and employees or other individuals who are not eligible for OHIP or are satisfying OHIP waiting period. This situation usually applies to Canadians coming from outside of Ontario or individuals having dual citizenships (e.g. US & Canada or Mexico & Canada) who are not eligible for OHIP upon returning to Ontario.
- Short-term international visitors associated with a UHIP participating university.
UHIP provides coverage to eligible members and their dependents (spouse and children) on health services, such as visits to physicians, hospitals, diagnostic testing (e.g. X-ray, blood test, etc.), medical emergency, and transportation on ambulance within the Province of Ontario, etc.
UHIP benefits are offered by Sun Life Financial. For UHIP coverage details, fees and claim process, please visit: uhip.ca
- UHIP follows academic cycle. Registration needs to be renewed on September 1st every year and benefit coverage expires on August 31st the following year. For example, UHIP term starts from September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022 for 2021-22 academic year.
- Undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan in September after they have registered for courses. UHIP enrollment takes place in January for Winter term start and in May for Summer term start new students.
- Graduate students are registered based on term enrollment
- Employees are registered at the new employee information meeting
- Dependents are registered based on a request from a UHIP eligible student or employee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proof of Coverage Request
- In person: Trent International Office, Symons Campus, Champlain College Room 302
- On-line: MyTrent>Support>Health and Wellness>UHIP e-card Request Form to receive a PDF to your Trent University email account.
- Email email@example.com to receive a PDF sent to your Trent University email account
- Phone: 705-748-1011 extension 7306
- Self-serve MySunlife account: uhip.ca/register-now
UHIP fee for registered international students is automatically included in their start term registration fee each year with Trent University. Fall term start students are billed in September for the full 12-month UHIP fee for coverage from September to August the following year. Winter term start students are billed in January for 8 months and Summer term start students are billed for 4 months, accordingly. Contact UHIP Administrator at Trent University by email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about your UHIP eligibility, registration and fees
Health Insurance Options for you to research to determine if they are right for you include but not limited to:
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) with a 6 month minimum job
- Sun Life
- Student VIP International Contact: Samantha Morneau, 1.888.918.5056 or email@example.com
- Graduating International Student Emergency Medical and Hospital Plan (1-888-509-7797)
- MSH International / StudyInsured™ (416-644-4870 or 1-888-386-8888 Toll Free)
- Student Guard (1-877-873-8447)
- Cowan Insurance Group (1-866-912-6926)
- Greenshield (1-888-711-1119)
- Great West Life
- Ontario Blue Cross
Extended Health and Dental Benefits
The Extended Health and Dental Benefit Plan is provided by your student organization and provides insurance coverage of non-UHIP services such as dental care, prescription medication, and more.
For information please visit studentvip.ca/trent For in person service visit the Trent Central Student Association in the on the second floor of the Student Centre (2.15) Peterborough Campus or the Trent Durham Student Association in room 118.1 on the Trent Durham Campus.