Global Ambassador Program (GAP)
Support for New International Students at Trent!
- What is the Global Ambassador Program?
- Are you a new student interested in joining the Global Ambassador Program?
- Are you an upper year student interested in becoming a Global Ambassador?
The Global Ambassador Program is designed to help new international students during their transition to life at Trent University and in Peterborough and Durham by connecting them with upper-year students called Global Ambassadors.
Through our program, we envision, the opportunity for international students to build connection, community, and friendships and develop a supportive foundation for resourcefulness and resilience to thrive in their new life in Canada and at Trent University.
To assist incoming international students to navigate the transition into university in Canada, to develop a sense of belonging and connection, and to provide students with confidence and knowledge to access resources and communities at Trent that will allow them to reach their full potential.
- Peer Run: Our program is peer-run. Our Global Ambassador Coordinator is a student staff, and our Global Ambassadors are current Trent Students. Our services are grounded in our lived experiences.
- Resources: We have tools and resources to help new international students navigate their transition to university life.
- Authenticity: Global Ambassadors are real people with similar experiences who want to support new international students.
- Mutuality: Shared experiences help us bond, problem solve, learn, and build resilience.
Starting your undergraduate degree can be challenging, and you probably have many questions. Trent International’s Global Ambassador Program is here for you! Our goal is to help you to have a smooth transition and acculturation to life at Trent and in Canada. The Global Ambassador Program pairs you with an upper-year international student who will be your ambassador pre-arrival, and during your first year of university!
This program is only for undergraduate students only.
Your ambassador will contact you once you have accepted your offer at Trent. Please make sure to check your Trent inbox for this email.
If you are someone who would like to be a mentor to new international students at Trent and help them by sharing your own experiences, then you should apply to become a Global Ambassador! We are looking for Ambassadors who can be role models to new international students and help guide them through their transition into their university life in Canada. The program will connect you with a diverse international community and strengthen your leadership and communication skills while building your resume and supporting the Trent International community!
Applications for the 2023-2024 academic year are currently close.
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity to support new international students at Trent University
- Share your experience of coming to Trent with new students, acting as their mentor or role model
- Make friends from around the world and build a strong global community
- Build your resume by developing communication and leadership skills
- Develop relevant virtual communication and support skills
- A verified position that can be added to the Co-Curricular record
- Potential for a future job reference
- A returning Trent University Student
- Qualify as an international student. (ESL, Undergraduate)
- Available for a year-round contract, running from April to April
- Available to contribute 2.5-3 hours a week towards the program.
- Willing to answer emails over the weekend and summer months.
Global Ambassadors - Peterborough Campus
Global Ambassadors - Durham Campus