Scholarships and Bursaries
For Current International Students
International In-Course Scholarship - In-course scholarships recognize academic excellence and are designed for international students who are continuing in an undergraduate degree program. The scholarships range from $1,000 to $2,500 depending on the student's academic average.
Application: MyTrent/Academics/International. Application opens on May 15, 2021 and closes on August 15, 2021.
Work Experience Scholarship (WES) – The Work Experience Scholarship supports current undergraduate international students with a work placement at the Trent International Office. Students will gain skills in cross-cultural communication, organizational, leadership, and administrative experiences. Candidates must apply for a student assistant position within the Trent International Office in order to be considered for the Work Experience Scholarship. All job postings will be posted on the Student Job Board.
Emerging Scholars Award
This award supports international students who are applying their academic work in venues beyond the Trent Campus. It is intended to assist students to cover some of the additional expenses incurred when conducting research, presenting papers, attending conferences, or other activities that develop professional scholarship.
Must be an international fee-paying student
Must be fulltime enrolled, or an approved part-time student in their final term
Must be in good standing
Eligible applicants must provide the following information:
a budget indicating how this funding will be used
a summary or abstract of their research topic or project
a letter of support from Trent faculty or staff
Date, location, and details of the relevant event
Application will be accepted throughout the year. Applicants can expect a decision within one month of submission.
Recipients must permit Trent University to feature their research in relevant communications.
The value of this award varies, but will not exceed $1000.
The International Bursary is awarded on the basis of financial need and involvement in Trent and/or the Peterborough/Oshawa community. The international bursary amount is up to $1,500. Students must be enrolled full-time and be in good academic standing to be eligible. Graduate students, international scholars, and exchange students are not eligible for the International Bursary
Application: MyTrent/Finances/International. Application opens in January and closes in February of each year.
Trent International Emergency Bursary assists international undergraduate students who experience unforeseen, short-term financial hardship. Online application is on-going while funding is available. Applications are reviewed on a weekly basis.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be an international student paying international fees for the current term
- Must be enrolled in a full-time or an approved part-time undergraduate program
*Graduate, Post-graduate Certificate, ESL, Exchange, and international students paying domestic student fees are not eligible to apply for International Emergency bursary.
While we would like to support as many students as possible, the Emergency Bursary is intended to assist undergraduate international students with the greatest need. Preference will be given to students who are living in Canada for the current term with limited or no family support.
Some examples of an emergency to be considered for Emergency Bursary are:
- Sudden passing of an immediate family member
- Accidents or injuries occurred to the student in Canada, who requires medical expenses beyond the limit of health insurance coverage
- Forced displacement of current residence due to unexpected incident, such as fire in the apartment
The Bursary is not intended to:
- Address long-term, ongoing financial difficulty
- Pay for tuition and school fees
- Pay for textbook or other school-related necessities
- Support a student’s family member who lost a job
- Submit an online form on MyTrent/Finances/International/Emergency Bursary Request form.
- Applications are reviewed weekly on Friday by a committee.
- Applicants may be contacted for a confidential 1-on-1 discussion with an advisor. The discussion, however, does not guarantee approval for the bursary. It is intended for the advisor to understand the applicant’s situation and provides other services that are deemed appropriate.
- Bursary is approved based on individual circumstances.
- Only applicants who are approved for the bursary will be contacted on how to receive the fund.
- Application: MyTrent/Finances/International
For Trent students who are studying abroad or for incoming exchange students, please visit https://www.trentu.ca/studyabroad/outbound-students/scholarships-and-bursaries for more information.
Flywire Charitable Foundation Academic Scholarships
The Flywire Charitable Foundation aims to improve equality, access and affordability for underrepresented individuals and communities.
Global health and medicine (Two scholarships of $4,500 USD each): The devastation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic reveals an urgent need to accelerate the world’s focus on improving public health. These scholarships aim to help train the next generation of highly-skilled health and medical experts. These scholarships are available for students studying global health and medicine.
Social justice (Two scholarships of $4,500 USD each): Continued racism against Black individuals and communities in the United States and around the world underscores the need for significant social justice reform. These scholarships aim to support tomorrow’s leaders who will commit to eradicating racism, violence and other acts of intolerance against minorities. These scholarships are available for students studying social justice.
To learn more and how to apply, visit flywire.com.