A Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship Ecosystem in Durham Region
Through curricular and co-curricular activities, as well as community partnerships, Trent University Durham aims to make positive contributions to the social, cultural, and economic fabric of “the new Durham”.
Social innovation and social entrepreneurship have a special and growing focus at Trent University Durham, and we are committed to supporting the development and enhancement of entrepreneurial thinking in our students. This focus is a natural fit for our campus, with the strengths Trent brings in the social sciences and humanities and through our interdisciplinary programs.
Throughout their university experience, students at Trent University Durham are encouraged to enhance and leverage their innovative ideas and entrepreneurial capabilities by engaging with key opportunities that Trent Durham has to offer.
There are a number of ways that students can explore their entrepreneurial self within coursework. For example:
- Courses in Entrepreneurship (ADMN3420H) and Social Enterprise & Social Innovation (ADMN3441H) are offered through the Business Administration department.
- Experiential learning opportunities, such as the field placement courses in the Business Administration program (ADMN4780H and ADMN4880H) can include positions with a focus on local and social enterprises, so students can contribute to the vitality of these organizations and see entrepreneurial approaches firsthand.
- In 2016, a new Post-Graduate Certificate in Marketing and Entrepreneurship was launched.
Complementing the academic curriculum at Trent University Durham, are collaborations and events to spark interest in and build skills associated with entrepreneurship. Some noteworthy activities:
- Through FastStart, our students can access learning and networking opportunities related to bringing their ideas to market and launching their own enterprises.
- Through our partnership with the Community Innovation Lab, located in downtown Oshawa at Core 21 (a co-working space), we have developed student internship positions related to social innovation and entrepreneurship and are collaborating on other innovative projects that aim to build awareness and enhance skills in entrepreneurial thinking.
- Entrepreneurial-themed events, created through community partnerships, are available to Trent University Durham students.