Trent’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
Trent University is strongly committed to raising awareness to equity, diversity and inclusion concerns across the Canada Research Chairs Program, and the broader research enterprise. Trent recognizes that by fostering an inclusive research culture, that embraces the broadest range of people, we create opportunities, and an environment, that allows student and faculty members to develop and flourish as individuals and global citizens. In order to further this ideal, the following strategies have been implemented:
- The public positing of, and adherence to, Trent University’s equity policies, including, but not limited to, the Trent University Employment Equity Policy, the Trent University Canada Research Chair Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, the Trent University Vision Statement (2010), and the Trent University Discrimination and Harassment Policy;
- Creation and maintenance of a public webpage that highlights Trent’s commitment to Equity, Diversity and inclusion within the Canada Research Chair Program and across the broader Trent University research enterprise;
- Communicate the Equity, Diversity, and Accessibility initiatives undertaken by the Canada Research Chairs Program, and the Tri-council, to the faculty, staff and students of Trent University, via institutional mailing lists and the monthly Research Matters Newsletter;
- Engage with key stakeholders to engage with them on equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives, including the Trent University Faculty Association (TUFA), the Centre for Human Rights, Equity, and Accessibility, and the Presidential Advisory Council on Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility;
- Promote the completion of Self-identification forms, as well as, the completion of the Employment Equity Questionnaire initiative currently undertaken by the Centre for Human Rights, Equity, and Accessibility;
- The Human Rights Advisor (Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility) will participate in the recruitment and renewal process for all CRCs;
- All CRC Search Committees and administrative staff supporting CRC searches will participate in mandatory human rights and unconscious bias training; and
These strategies will be revised and updated as needed.
Strategy and Commitment
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan
Handling Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Concerns
Trent University aims to address concerns a person may have in regard to equity, diversity and inclusion, including the monitoring and reporting of such concerns. Equity, diversity, or inclusion concerns a person may have about the Canada Research Chairs Program, including the recruitment process, should be directed to and will be handled by the Vice-President, Research and Innovation, and the Office of Research and Innovation at Trent University. As per Trent University’s Policy on the Allocation of Canada Research Chairs, the Nomination of Canada Research Chairs, and the Trent University Action Plan, the Vice-President Research and Innovation, is the designated body to ensure that the University is compliant with the policies and procedures established internally and by the Canada Research Chairs Program. For issues surrounding the CRC program as it relates to teaching and institutional service expectations, the first point of contact is the chair of the department or the director of the program in which the CRC holds their appointment, or the Dean. Depending on the severity of the complaint, it may be brought to the Provost’s Office who will work with Deans, and the Directors or Chair to address the concern.
The Trent University Faculty Association (TUFA) also manages and responds to complaints about equity, diversity and inclusion matters brought to its attention by its members. More information on the resources that TUFA provide can be found in the Trent University Faculty Association Collective Agreement. All general inquiries or concerns related to equity, diversity or inclusion should be directed to, and will be handled by the Equity Officer in the Trent University Centre for Human Rights, Equity, and Accessibility. Concerns will be addressed through the Resolution Procedures (Part II), as laid out in the "Discrimination and Harassment Policy (2016)". Further information can also be found in the Employment Equity Policy document (VP, Human Resources).
Contacts for Implementation of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Agenda for CRCs:
Dr. Cathy Bruce, Vice-President Office of Research & Innovation
- Phone: 705-748-1011 ext. 7601
- Email: email@example.com
Christopher Rooney, Senior Director, Office of Research & Innovation
- Phone: 705-748-1011 ext. 7209
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Research and Innovation
- Suite 344, Enwayaang, Gzowski College
- Phone: (705)748-1011 ext. 7050
- Email: email@example.com
Contacts for General Inquiries or Concerns related to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
Tara Harrington, Human Rights Advisor
- Room 123, Otonabee College
- Phone: (705)748-1011 ext. 7725
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Canada Research Chairs Equity Targets and Gaps
As a requirement of the Canada Research Chair Program, all institutions are required meet set equity targets. Trent University is committed to meeting, or exceeding, the targets set by the Canada Research Chair program and is currently working towards meeting the 2029 equity targets identified as a result of the 2019 Addendum to the 2006 Canadian Human Rights Settlement Agreement. The 2029 equity targets were set through an equity-setting methodology that implements incremental equity targets for the program, based mainly on Canada’s population (2016 Census). The 2029 targets for each of the four designated groups, are:
- Women - 50.9%;
- Racialized minorities - 22%;
- Persons with Disabilities - 7.5%; and
- Indigenous Peoples - 4.9%.
All institutions that participate in the Canada Research Chairs Program were required to develop and submit their 2021-2029 equity target plans to the program by June 2021. The plans required setting targets for each of the four designated groups for each of the target deadlines, to lead incrementally, over the period 2021-2029. The Trent University Equity Target Plans (June 2021) is found here. The program's population-based Institutional Equity Targets for 2021-2029 can be found here.
To protect the privacy of the chairholders, numbers lower than five in each of the four designated groups are not reported in keeping with the Privacy Act. Due to the fact that Trent University's Target numbers are less than five, they will be withheld to protect the privacy of the chair holders.
Please visit the CRC Program's Equity and Diversity Requirements and Practices for more information on the target setting practice and methodology. Canada-wide data can be found on the Program Statistics website.
Canada Research Chairs Utilization Spreadsheet
Policies and Procedures for Staffing the CRC Positions
- Trent University Allocation of Canada Research Chairs
- Trent University Nomination of Canada Research Chairs Policy
- Trent University Self-Identification Form
Advertisements for all Active CRC Positions at Trent University
There are currently no postings for internal competitions.
There are currently no postings for internal competitions.
Previously Posted CRC Positions at Trent University
Previously posted CRC advertisements can be found in our CRC Advertisement Archive.
Transparency Statement/Postings for Internal Retention
There are currently no postings for internal retention purposes.
Canada Research Chairs Program Best Practices, References, Requirements, and Guides
- 2019 Addendum to the 2006 Canadian Human Rights Settlement Agreement;
- Best Practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion;
- Best Practices for Recruitment, Hiring and Retention;
- Best Practices for Writing a Letter of Reference;
- Canada Research Chair Program Statistics;
- Canada Research Chair Program Requirements for Recruiting and Nominating;
- Unconscious Bias Training Module.
Here you can find some resources to assist in maintaining equitable standards or answer questions regarding employment equity: