Presidential Advisory Council on Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility
PACHREA at Trent
The following information is available regarding the Presidential Advisory Council on Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility (PACHREA).
- PACHREA Council Purpose and Structure
- Council Members
- Terms of Reference
- Meeting Minutes
- Accessibility Subcommittee
- Equity Subcommittee
The Presidential Advisory Council on Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility (PACHREA) is a standing advisory committee to the President and Vice-Chancellor of Trent University.
Its purpose is to oversee the formulation, implementation, monitoring and review of the University's equality, diversity and disability policies and practice and to assist the Human Rights Advisor in preparing and maintaining an institutional action plan to ensure that these policies are translated into programs of action and to report annually to Board of Governors on such matters.
The following are the PACHREA's three (3) key areas of responsibility:
1. Human Rights and Non-discrimination
- Work with the President and Vice-Chancellor, and the Human Rights Advisor to support and promote human rights within the Trent University community.
- Develop human rights education objectives and events for the University community, including information sessions for supervisory and administrative officers.
- Ensure that all groups, including staff, faculty, and students, receive adequate information about their rights and responsibilities under Trent University's Policy on Discrimination and Harassment.
- Identify particular types of discrimination and harassment that occur in the Trent University community and advise on preventative strategies.
- Convey to the University’s Human Rights Advisor, issues of systemic discrimination (as defined in the Trent University Discrimination and Harassment Policy (2013) section 7.3) that may exist at the university.
- Monitor the functioning of the Policy on Discrimination and Harassment and advise the President and Vice-Chancellor accordingly.
- Maintain a focus on the development, review and extension of strategies and initiatives affecting employment equity and diversity with respect to all University staff, faculty and student employees.
- Provide advice and feedback to the President and Vice Chancellor on strategic planning, education and communication issues pertaining to employment equity.
- Work to identify and eliminate all forms of discrimination in recruitment and retention of employees, including student employees, at Trent University.
- Review the progress of employment equity and diversity goals against the plans, targets and recommendations of reviews of University units.
- Ensure the career development of cross-cultural awareness training to support the positive inclusion of groups identified by employment equity.
- Review recruitment and promotion data in terms of the full breadth of diversity in our constituent communities including, but not limited to, women, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal Canadians, new Canadians, and other historically disadvantaged groups.
- Create a barrier-free university environment and culture by planning, prioritizing, and recommending projects to support full participation in university life. This includes barriers related to attitudinal, communication and systemic practices as well as those within the physical environment.
- Make recommendations regarding access standards to be followed by the University.
- Review the University’s physical access audits and determine upgrade requirements, which includes developing short and long-term plans to address barriers to physical access.
- Assist in preparation of reports and proposals for government or other funding sources.
- Identify areas where training is needed for persons with disabilities in compliance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- Work collaboratively with University stakeholders to promote awareness of accessibility.
Terms of Reference are currently under review. Please contact email@example.com for related inquires.
The PACHREA Terms of Reference are currently under review. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for related inquires.
PACHREA Meeting Minutes 2016 -2017 Academic Year
For more meeting minutes form previous years please visit the PACHREA Meeting Minutes webpage.
The role of the Accessibility Subcommittee is to assist Trent University in achieving full participation of persons with disabilities in all facets of university life through the identification, removal and prevention of barriers to access through meeting, or where possible exceeding, its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC).
The subcommittee is support by the Institutional Accessibility Advisor, as an ex oficio member, from the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility (CHREA).
For more information on this Accessibility Subcommittee, including full membership listing and past meeting minutes, please visit the PACHREA Accessibility Subcommittee webpage.
The role of the Equity Subcommittee is to develop a long term and integrated approach to employment equity and diversity at Trent University; this will be accomplished through the development of the University's equity and diversity programs.
As of fall 2017 there is a vacancy in the Chairperson position for this subcommittee. The Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Accessibility (CHREA) provides support for this committee.
For more information on this Equity Subcommittee, including full membership listing and past meeting minutes please visit the PACHREA Equity Subcommittee webpage.