Office of Research and Innovation
Welcome To the Office of Research and Innovation
"Trent University is renowned for producing world-class interdisciplinary research findings. As the institution continues to excel in breakthrough academic inquiry, the annual ranking scores (Re$earch Infosource, Maclean’s University Rankings, HESA) acknowledge Trent’s high-caliber research output: Named #1 Undergraduate University in Ontario and #2 Undergraduate Research University in Canada. There is no question that in the quest for excellence Trent University’s brilliant learning environment provides an interactive locale focused on far reaching research and innovation. In this prime environment the progressive faculty and research-engaged students solve complex problems of global significance, bringing the university to recognition on national and international scales." - Neil Emery
Despite being a smaller university, Trent consistently produces high quality research. This ambition is frequently validated by external assessment and reviews, such as Macleans, Re$earch Infosource Inc. and Higher Education Strategy Associates(HESA). In their most recent national survey, HESA ranked Trent’s research 12th among 55 Canadian universities in impact for Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, noting that we have “by far the best publication record of any small‐ish school in the country across all disciplines.” In this index Trent ranked higher than 8 members of the U‐15 research universities in Canada. Trent's size has allowed our researchers to strategically select a small number of research areas in which, through interdisciplinary approaches drawing from the sciences, social sciences and humanities, has allowed the University to become recognized both nationally and internationally.
The Office of Research supports the university community in its mission to "advance learning through the creative interaction of teaching and research of the highest quality." Responsible for achievement of Trent's research goals and objectives, the Office of Research works in cooperation with other departments to implement the University's strategic research plan.
In particular, the Office of Research works with local, regional, national and international members of the research community to promote and steward:
- Excellence in research (peer-reviewed, high caliber, with national and international recognition);
- A diversity of research (across a full range of scholarly disciplines at Trent, and of either a basic or applied nature);
- An emphasis on interdisciplinary research (with cooperation between a number of departments/programs/disciplines/centres/institutions);
- Responsible for provision of resources to researchers (infrastructure, staff, space etc.);
- The involvement of students in research
- Training of highly qualified personnel; and
- open accountable research practices (honest, ethical and open to public scrutiny)