Skills to Enhance Peer Support (STEPS)
STEPS (Skills To Enhance Peer Support) aims to develop skills to empower student participants to feel comfortable providing resources and referrals to members of the Trent community, and beyond, who may be experiencing moments of stress or distress. The program requires participants to take five workshops that focus on communication skills, bystander intervention and diversity and inclusion.
STEPS offers students:
- Practical and relevant skills to support peers that are immediately applicable to student life and society.
- An opportunity to develop and enhance interpersonal skills that includes an understanding of self, groups and their community.
- The rules to engage in conversations with a peer in distress and to become a more engaged upstander.
- An opportunity to reflect upon and develop attitudes, knowledge and skills that relate to citizenship development and practices.
Students interested in completing the full STEPS program must complete all five (5) of the following workshops:
- Bystander Intervention
- Summer 2022 Workshop: July 12 1:00 - 3:00 pm on Zoom
- How to Support a Friend who has Experienced Sexual Violence
- Summer 2022 Workshop: July 20 1:00 - 3:00 pm on Zoom
- Active Listening and Conflict Resolution
- Summer 2022 Workshop: July 22 10:00 am - 12:00 pm on Zoom
- Livingworks START Suicide Response Training
- Summer 2022 Workshop: July 5 9:00 am on Zoom
- Respecting Individuals and Supporting Equity
- Summer 2022 Workshop: August 9 1:00 - 3:00 pm on Zoom
Online registration is required for attendance at all workshops. Registration is located on the Student Experience Portal.
There is no formal enrollment process, leaving the opportunity open for students to participate in specific workshops without the commitment of the full program. At the end of the winter term, students will be presented with their STEPS certificate at year end celebration and awarded $25 Trent Cash.
For further information about STEPS please contact Krista Kermer – Student Retention Programs Coordinator at email@example.com