TUFA & Exempt Academic Benefits


TUFA and Exempt Academic employees whose appointment is for 17.5 hours per week or more are eligible for the employee benefits below.

Sun Life Benefits Booklets

Please click here for Sun Life TUFA Booklet 

Please click here for Sun Life Exempt Academic Booklet

  1. Basic Life Insurance
  2. Optional Life Insurance
  3. Survivor Income Benefit (SIB)
  4. Sick Leave
  5. Long Term Disability (LTD)
  6. Medi-Passport Emergency Medical Travel Plan
  7. Maternity/Parental Leave
  8. Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
  9. Flex Benefits
  10. Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
  11. Tuition Waiver for TUFA/EXACD Dependents

Basic Life Insurance

The University provides Basic Life Insurance to its employees in the amount of 1.5 times their annual salary until the employee’s Normal Retirement Date (July 1st following their 65th birthday). The premium for this basic coverage is 100% paid by the University. The amount of the premium is a taxable benefit to the employee. This is a mandatory benefit.

At the Normal Retirement Date, an active employee’s basic life insurance coverage is reduced by 50% rounded to the next highest $1,000, to a maximum of $50,000. At age 70 an active employee’s basic life insurance coverage ends.

Optional Life Insurance

This life insurance option allows employees to purchase additional insurance equivalent to 1x, 2x, 3x 4x or 5x their annual salary. The rates for this coverage are based on age, sex and whether an employee is a smoker or non-smoker. The premium for this coverage is 100% paid by the employee and payment is made by payroll deduction. At normal retirement date, an active employee’s coverage for Optional Life Insurance is reduced by 50%, rounded to the next highest $1,000, if not already a multiple of $1,000, to a maximum of $100,000. At age 70, an active employee’s optional life insurance ends.                                                           

Survivor Income Benefit (SIB)

As per the 2016-2019 TUFA Collective Agreement, the Survivor Income Benefit will not be offered to any new entrants, effective September 30, 2016. If you have any questions regarding Survivor Income Benefit (SIB) please contract the Department of Human Resources. 

Sick Leave

In the event of absence due to sickness or injury and upon receipt of satisfactory medical documentation you will be paid your regular salary for an absence of up to a maximum of six (6) calendar months over the previous twelve (12) months. During your sick leave, you will continue to assume the cost of your benefit contributions (if any). The period of paid sick leave shall not continue beyond the end date of your appointment. This applies to any employee who holds a limited term appointment or has terminated their employment.

When you are unable to report to work because of illness or injury, your Manager/ Supervisor or Chair must be notified as soon as possible on the first day of absence. In the case of frequent absences or of an absence of more than four (4) days, medical documentation will be required. For TUFA members, an absence of more than two weeks will require medical documentation.

When an absence is prolonged (a month or more), a Functional Abilities Form will be required in order to ensure continuation of your salary. Prior to returning to work from an illness that extends beyond one month, you are required to provide your Supervisor/Manager/Chair with a doctor's note certifying that you are able to return to work on a full time basis without restriction; or, that you are able to return to work with the nature and duration of any work restrictions described. In the situation where there is a return to work where there are restrictions, a Functional Abilities Form (FAF) will also be required and an accommodation plan will need to be developed.

Long Term Disability (LTD)

In the event that you are off work due to illness or injury for a period of more than 6 months accumulated over the previous 12 months, you will need to apply for Long Term Disability Benefits with Sun Life. Four (4) months into your sick leave, a Sun Life application form will be sent to you. This must be completed and forwarded directly to Sun Life.

Should you remain on short term disability for a period of 6 months accumulated over the previous 12 months, your salary will cease after the 6 months has accumulated. At that point, if you qualify for Sun Life’s Long Term Disability benefits, you will receive a monthly check from Sun Life at the rate determined by your benefit plan.

If you are approved for Long Term Disability, you will receive 75% of your basic monthly earnings up to a maximum of $13,000 per month, reduced by any direct and indirect offsets applicable.

Payment is made until the earliest of
1. the employee’s normal retirement date
2. the last day of the month in which the employee retires
3. the last day of the month in which the employee dies
4. 2 years after the end of the employee’s limited term appointment.

Please refer to the applicable Sun Life Benefits booklet for complete information on this benefit.

Medi-Passport Emergency Medical Travel Plan

Trent University offers Travel Benefits and Medi-Passport to eligible employees. With these benefits, you are one phone call away from the emergency medical help to see you through a crisis when you are away from home. You're automatically covered any time you leave the province in which you live. This coverage applies for the entire duration away from your place of residence.  

Medi-Passport gives you access to the expertise of Allianz Global Assistance. Your spouse and children can also receive travel assistance, provided they are included under your Sun Life Health Insurance plan. Be sure carry your travel card with you when you travel. 

What to do in a medical emergency:

  • You, or someone with you, must call the Allianz Global Assistance 24-hour operations centre before receiving medical care. The toll-free numbers are on the travel card. Any invasive and investigative procedures (i.e. surgery, angiogram, MRI) must be pre-authorized by Allianz Global Assistance, except in extreme circumstances. If you don’t contactAllianz Global Assistance, your claim could be reduced or declined. Have your contract number (50490) and member ID number (usually your employee number) ready.
  • Give Allianz Global Assistance the information on your travel card and describe the situation.
  • Stay in touch with Allianz Global Assistance throughout the emergency, until they confirm that you no longer need to do so. Please give Allianz Global Assistance your hospital, hotel or other current telephone number.

Print your Medi-Passport card and information on the plan, enter your Name (employee’s), our Policy Number 50490 and your Sun Life Member ID number (usually your employee #) on the card and take it with you when you travel. 


Maternity/Parental Leave

Maternity Leave SUB Plan

After an employee has been employed at Trent University for one (1) year, she can file for maternity leave under this SUB plan. Under this plan, the University will pay 95% of the employee’s normal salary or wages for the first two (2) weeks and for the next fifteen (15) weeks, the University will supplement the benefit paid by the Employment Insurance Commission so that when combined with earnings from other sources, the total from both sources will equal 95% of the Trent base salary or wages. The recipient will be required to produce a record of payment from the Employment Insurance Commission before the University can pay the supplement.

Parental Leave SUB Plan

After a staff member has been employed at Trent University for one (1) year, she/he can apply for parental leave under the SUB plan. Under this plan all employees eligible for the maternity leave SUB plan may also extend the SUB plan for an additional ten (10) weeks as parental leave providing the parental leave is taken immediately following maternity leave. An additional twenty-five (25) weeks of parental leave may also be taken, but shall be considered an unpaid leave and may be eligible for Employment Insurance benefits, but not salary/wages from the University.  The employee will be required to produce a Record of Payment from the Employment Insurance Commission before the University can pay the supplement.

Maternity/Parental Leave 12 month form

Maternity/Parental Leave 18 month form

Parental (Non-Birth Parent) Form

Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)

All Trent employees who are currently entitled to Sun Life benefits are eligible to access this free and confidential Employee Assistance Program (EAP). LifeWorks is Trent University’s confidential Employee Assistance Program available to eligible employees and their dependents 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at no cost to you. From parenting concerns to health matters, work issues to financial problems, legal questions to elder care, even with buying your first home, LifeWorks can help! In fact, you can turn to LifeWorks for help with a wide range of questions and issues. LifeWorks is not just about counselling – it’s also a way to gain access to the information and resources you need. LifeWorks can help with:

Phone:  1-877-207-8833
Website: www.lifeworks.com
Mobile App: Download for iPhone, Android or Blackberry
User ID:  trentemployee
Password:  eap​

Flex Benefits

All TUFA and Exempt Academic employees are currently entitled to receive a Flexible Benefits Plan allowance. The allowance is $200.00 between July 1 and the following June 30, pro-rated for employees that are employed for less than the full year. The entire amount must be used by June 30. Flex dollars do not carry over at June 30 to the next year. Employees must have a TrentU card in order to use their flex benefits. Flex benefit amounts will be automatically allocated to your TrentU card. The flex benefit account will take priority over your other accounts on your TrentU card. Therefore, when you present your card, funds will be drawn from the flex benefit account first. If you do not have a TrentU card you must go to the TrentU card office located in Blackburn Hall, Room 104. Please refer to the TrentU card office website for further information and hours of operation.

The Flexible Benefits Plan provides each member with a credit which may be applied toward many places on and off campus. 

On Campus:

  • The Planet North
  • The Seasoned Spoon
  • The Trend
  • The Ceilie
  • Chartwells - Dining Halls
  • Bookstore
  • Trent Athletic Centre
  • Laundry
  • Nursing Department - certifications, TFSON Clinical Taxi Pass etc.
  • Print Shop- photocopying, printing, print shop orders
  • Parking (in office only)
  • Library- fines
  • Alwayslicious at the Durham campus
  • The TCSA (Student Centre) and TDSA (Room 122) offices
  • Card Office- Peterborough Transit Passes and lost card fees

Off Campus: 

  • Black Honey
  • Natas Cafe
  • The Whistle Stop Cafe
  • Pizza Pizza Delivery
  • YoYo's Yogurt Cafe
  • El Camino's
  • Hot Belly Mama's
  • Olde Stone Brewing Co.
  • Real Thai Cuisine
  • The Planet - Water Street Location

Please notify Human Resources if you do not intend to use your flex benefit allotment as this is a taxable benefit. There is no need to inform Human Resources of your choice.  Simply go to the respective department (i.e. Parking, TrentU Card Office, Athletics, etc.) as indicated above.  If there is any amount left over you can then allocate that amount to another one of the options.  Please contact Human Resources for any disputes as to the amount of flex dollars on your card.

Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)

Faculty and staff of Trent University have the opportunity to save for their children/grandchildren’s post-secondary education by starting an RESP through automatic payroll deductions.  In our partnership with CST Consultants Inc., you can save for future educational costs by starting an RESP plan with the Canadian Scholarship Trust Plan, and benefit from the Canada Education Savings Grant which can add 20% to your RESP up to a total potential grant of $7,200.00 per child. The Additional Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond may also be available by opening an RESP.

If you are interested in opening an RESP please refer to the Canadian Scholarship Trust Plan Brochure for more information or contact:

Ingrid Nolan
Sales Representative
C.S.T. Consultants Inc.
Phone: 705-876-9488
Toll-free: 1-866-293-7377
E-mail: resp@trentu.ca

Tuition Waivers/Rebates for TUFA/Exempt Academic

Tuition Waivers for dependents of TUFA/Exempt staff: 

  • Dependents enrolled in courses at Trent University, are eligible to have their normal undergraduate and graduate academic fees waived for up to one full program per term
  • Please submit a completed and signed dependent tuition waiver form to the Department of Human Resources a minimum of 30 days prior to the commencement of the course
  • Ancillary fees are not waived 
  • Dependency shall be considered for one spouse (including common-law) and any children 25 years of age or under (including adopted, fostered and married children)

Tuition Waiver for Exempt Academic, TUFA & CUPE Dependent

For further information regarding tuition waivers/rebates please contact the Department of Human Resources.