CUPE 1 Benefits
Members of CUPE Unit 1 are eligible for one of either the CUPE1 Benefits Fund or the Extended Health and Dental Plan described below if:
- they are not eligible for benefits coverage under another plan and
- they are employed for more than three (3) months during the academic year or six (6) weeks during the summer semester.
Sun Life Benefits
Eligible employees can purchase extended health, dental and semi-private hospital accommodation benefits at Trent University’s group rates while the employee is working. Application must be made with Human Resources within the first 30 days of employment. Please refer to Article 6.07 of the CUPE1 Collective Agreement for full details.
CUPE1 Benefits Fund
Trent University’s third party benefits carrier, C&C Insurance Consultants Inc., has partnered with Medavie Blue Cross to offer the administration of the CUPE Unit 1 Benefits Fund (Appendix D).
The benefits fund covers reasonable and customary charges for prescription drugs, dental care, eye examinations, or prescription eyeglasses incurred by eligible members of dependents in their immediate family. Each qualified member, defined as those employees who are employed for more than three months during the academic year (or six weeks during the summer semester) and who does not have coverage under another benefit plan is eligible for a maximum reimbursement of $800 per year. The fund is $30,000 for the 2019/20 year and claims will be processed on a first come, first serve basis until the fund is exhausted. Any monies remaining in the plan after each year will be available to roll over into the subsequent year.
To take advantage of the CUPE 1 Benefit Fund, please fill out the enrolment form and submit it directly to C&C Insurance who will send you a benefit card so you can start accessing the fund. Completed enrolment forms can be sent to:
22425 Jeffries Road
Komoka, ON N0L 1R0
Please note that in order for an expense to be eligible, it must be incurred between the commencement of your appointment and the end of the fourth month following the termination of your employment. Eligible claims must be submitted within thirty days of the end of the academic year (September to August) in which the service was provided.
- If you have coverage under another benefit plan, you are not eligible for coverage as per Appendix D. For clarity, members who have a Health Spending Account with another employer may participate in the plan
- Maximum total reimbursement is $800.00 per year per eligible employee.
- Please refer to appendix D of the CUPE1 Collective Agreement for full details.
Tuition Waivers for Dependents of CUPE1 Employees
Dependents (spouse and children) of bargaining unit members employed in the respective current session and (a) holding a Right of First Refusal, or (b) who have been employed for at least three (3) previous academic sessions, at least two (2) of which were Fall/Winter academic sessions, who are enrolled in courses at Trent University, shall have the equivalent of undergraduate academic fees waived for the duration of this Agreement for either undergraduate or graduate tuition. Ancillary fees are not waived. Admission and progression standards for such students shall be those applicable to other students.
Definitions of Dependency:
- Spouse: tuition shall be waived for one spouse only for each member of the bargaining unit (inclusive of common law)
- Children: shall include adopted children, foster children, and married children, subject only to the condition that the children in question be twenty-five (25) years of age or under.