Connections and Partners
Trent-Specific Environmental Groups
BIKE: The Peterborough Community Cycling Hub
B!KE runs a supervised workshop space with the tools, parts, and expertise for bike repair. Drop-in any time during our Open Shop hours to learn how to fix your bike.
The Kawartha World Issues Centre (KWIC)
KWIC is located in the Environmental Resource Centre in the Environmental Sciences Centre (ESC B101).
Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG) Peterborough
OPIRG is a campus-based, community-oriented non-profit organization working on social justice and environmental issues in Peterborough since 1976. They have a searchable on-line library.
For over a decade organic vegetables have been grown in Trent's rooftop gardens on the ESC building. This, combined with the new one-acre field garden is now producing food for the Seasoned Spoon Cafe and Chartwells, as well as for the Peterborough community.
Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Society
The SAFS Society is founded on the concept of food sovereignty. We believe farmers can feed our growing population while sustaining and regenerating the ecological resource base and succeeding economically. We believe in truly democratic and equitable food systems, locally, regionally and globally, maintaining that quality, healthful and culturally appropriate food is a basic human right. Our mission is to create a community for Trent students to share, experience, and learn, deepening their sustainable food understanding.
Sustainable Trent envisions a sustainable campus with respect to our ecological, economic and sociopolitical environments. By working with both Trent University and Peterborough communities we strive to continually raise awareness and promote sustainability.
Seasoned Spoon Café
The Seasoned Spoon is a non-profit, vegetarian, cooperative café located in Champlain College at Trent University. As well as serving delicious, affordable, local, and organic food, we also provide a number of educational initiatives through volunteer opportunities, workshops, speakers and conferences. The Spoon cooperative has over 400 members, most of whom are staff and students of Trent University.
Trent University Environmental Advisory Board
We are a long-standing Trent University group composed of members from faculty, staff, & students.
Our Mandate: To encourage awareness and discussion within the university community about environmental issues relevant to the university and its operations, to develop advice and proposals, for the president, or for other parties, as appropriate, on specific environmental issues, such as care of the campus grounds, waste management, and new campus developments, and to facilitate action on university environmental issues, as appropriate.
Trent University Nature Areas Committee
Dedicated to maintaining the Trent Nature Areas, situated on Trent University land. The Nature Areas consist of over 1,400 acres of land along the banks of the Otonabee River and Trent Canal.
Trent University Sustainability Office
In response to the growing concern for the health of our environment, the Physical Resources Department established the Sustainability Office in the summer of 2007. Operating under the ecoTrent umbrella, we're doing our part to support Trent's commitment to promoting awareness of environmental issues and taking active measures to reduce waste, conserve energy and water and keep Trent green!
Peterborough Area Environmental Groups
Inspiring environmental stewardship. The Environment Centre is located just up Pioneer Road from the Trent road entrance to Gzowski College.
Society for Ecological Restoration (SER), Ontario Chapter, Canada
Based in the Environmental Science Centre, SER Ontario is part of an international organization committed to the ecologically sensitive repair and management of ecosystems. While the focus of our efforts is the Ontario region, we strive to share ideas and initiatives across borders and around the globe.
"We are a non-profit charitable organization with a focus on environmental issues such as waste reduction, water and energy conservation, greenspace enhancement and CO2 reduction."
The Rotary Greenway Trail Project (courtesy Ontario Trails Council)
The Rotary Club of Peterborough in partnership with the City of Peterborough is developing a scenic linear park trail from Little Lake north along the banks of the Otonabee River to Trent University, following along the river up to Lakefield.
Trent-Fleming Trail Studies Unit
"Trails have to be developed, planned, managed and interpreted. So there is considerable need for expertise on various aspects of trails. In response to this need, several members of Trent University and Fleming College established a Trail Studies Unit in 1992."
Media & Environmental News Sources
Trent University News
- Trent Daily News (see also news in myTrent)
- Trent Magazine
- Focus Trent archives
- Arthur (Trent student newspaper)
Peterborough Region News
- Global Peterborough - The local television station, supplying local news information available via the internet.
- Cogeco Community Television Peterborough - The local community cable television channel.
- Peterborough Examiner - One of Peterborough's local newspapers.
- Peterborough This Week - A newspaper serving the Kawartha Region.
- The Wolf (101.5 FM) - A local radio station.
Canada & Worldwide News
- Google News 'Environmental News' search
- Environmental News Service
- Environmental News Network
- The Green Pages
- CBC News- Technology & Science
- BBC News- Science & Environment
Government (Local, Canada, USA, & UN)
- Peterborough County (Ontario) - Services such as Waste Management, County Forests
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment
- Environment Canada
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Program Office (USA-based)
indicator: atmospheric carbon dioxide
analysis: global state of the climate
Environmental Journals and Publications
Environmental Journals and Publications (via Trent Bata Library)
- Subject Guide: Environmental and Resource Science/Studies
- ScholarsPortal (access to over 14,000 journals)
Environmental Publication Lists
- EnviroInfo Environmental Periodical List - Lists more than 1000 journals and publications (with web links).
- Environmental Expert Magazines & Journal - Search for environmental journals and publications by keyword, technical field, or publisher.
- List of Environmental Journals (Wikipedia) - Lists are separated by sub-discipline (environmental economics, health, law, etc.)