Declare/Change Your Major
Students are encouraged to declare their major using the Change of Major form on the MyTrent portal. Once you have completed 3.0 credits at Trent, you will be required to declare your major before you can register for courses. If you change your mind later, you can update your major again on myTrent.
We encourage you to do your homework before declaring or changing your major.
- Start with the Academic Calendar to review the degree requirements and program requirements for the program(s) you are interested in. This will help you understand the requirements to complete a major(s), minor, specialization and/or option.
- Use the My Academic Plan tool to make a list of courses you will complete and courses you would need to acquire to determine the length of time to finish a new program/major. Make sure to include prerequisites for courses and electives when reviewing your current credits and outstanding credits.
- Review and complete the Do It Yourself (DIY) Degree Check tool. This might be helpful as a planning tool for future course selection, and to ensure that you are meeting all requirements of your degree, program, major(s), specializations and/or options.
You can book an appointment with an Academic Advisor to discuss possible majors and to ensure you are on track to meet your degree requirements.
Wondering how to declare and/or change your major?
- Change of Major Form: Whether you are declaring your major for the first time, or if you have already declared your major(s) and want to change it, you can use the ‘Change of Major’ form on myTrent to do so. This is the same location to declare a joint-major, minor, specialization and/or option.
- Transfer into Capped Programs: The Change of Major form cannot be used for direct-entry, competitive programs which require an application, including Co-Op Programs.
How to find the Change of Major form on myTrent:
- Log into your MyTrent account,
- Click on the 'Academics' tab,
- Scroll down to the 'Forms' heading. There you will see a 'Change of Major' button. Click on the 'Change of Major' button and fill out the form
- Select single-major or joint-major
- Choose from the options Honours degree or General degree
- (where applicable) Select Arts degree or Science degree
- Choose your desired program to load options for joint-major, minor, specializations and/or options.
Note: If you wish to pursue a joint-major, minor, specialization or option, and the combination is not available on the form, please email email@example.com
Watch this video tutorial on how to use the Change of Major form on myTrent
Applying to Transfer into Direct-Entry Programs
The Change of Major form cannot be used for direct-entry, competitive programs which require an application. For more information about Alternate Offers and the steps to take to transfer into a capped program after your first year (or more) at Trent, please visit https://www.trentu.ca/futurestudents/undergraduate/applicants/received-offer/alternate-offers
Included on the 'Transfer into Capped Programs' form on the myTrent portal between February 1-May 15:
- Biomedical Science
- Conservation Biology (Co-Op/Placement)
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Science
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Biology
- Bachelor of Science in Forensic Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
- Medical Professional Stream
- Teacher Education Stream (note: to remove yourself from this program, please contact the Teacher Education Stream directly firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note for Bachelor of Science in Nursing: the 'Transfer to Nursing' icon is added to the myTrent portal between October 1 – January 31 for current students to apply to Nursing. Please refer to the Additional Applicant Information section at the bottom of the Nursing Admission Requirements page.
Note for Transfer into Co-Op Programs in the Humanities & Sciences: This will be a portal form on MyTrent that will live under Academics > Admissions and will be called “Transfer Into Co-op”. Current first-year students in the 2022-2023 academic session are eligible to apply to transfer into a Co-Op program. The form will open on January 9th and close on February 17th.
For the following programs, please contact the department directly for information about Admission Requirements and how to transfer into the program: