Forensic Science M.Sc.F.S.
The first Canadian Masters of Science in Forensic Science has been designed for you to learn and implement best practices in forensic science. You will be engaged for three semesters in 8 core courses and 2 electives. The electives are aligned to your intended area of study (such as electives in biology, chemistry, or environmental sciences). In the third semester, you will complete an independent, hands-on forensic placement resulting in a research thesis at a recognized academic, private or public sector institution.
The M.Sc.F.S. program is a professional course-based program that will allow you to:
- gain an understanding of the value of research and case-specific experimentation
- develop effective communication techniques to present technical scientific analysis to scientific, legal and non-scientific audiences
Students will be taking 4 core courses and 1 elective course in each term (Fall & Winter)
Preparation for Work-Integrated Learning course will prepare students for placement and students are required to take it in the Fall term
In semester 3 (spring term), students will be completing one-term research placement
Please note that slight alterations in delivery format may be required for all courses to ensure we are following recommended guidelines to cope with the ongoing SarsCov-2 (Covid-19) pandemic.
- Preparation for Work-Integrated Learning (2020 Fall)
- Research Placement (2021 Summer)
Core Courses (subject to change)
- Communication Science and Forensic Reporting
- Advanced Forensic DNA Typing or Advanced Forensic Chemical Analysis
- Research Design and Statistics in Forensic Science
- Presentation of Expert Evidence and the Courts
- Complex Crime Scene Analysis
- Advanced Forensic Toxicology
- Leadership in Forensic Science
- Advanced Topics in Forensic Science
Elective Courses (subject to change)
- Forensic Psychology
- Biocrime and Bioterrorism
- Basic Bloodstain Pattern Analysis
- Firearms and Ballistics
- Chemical Sensors & Biosensors in Forensic Science
For more information about the program please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the program office at 705.748.1011 @ 7516.