TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE POSTGRADUATE CERTIFICATE
ADD A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE TO YOUR TEACHING PORTFOLIO
Teach English as a foreign language abroad or online. Hone your English language skills while adding a Canadian credential in professional teacher training to your professional portfolio. This program offers the flexibility you need while you focus on your career – study online or in-person, full-time or part-time from anywhere in the world! Benefit from diverse perspectives and a curated set of courses presented in our global classroom.
Thinking of entering a corporate environment? Trent University’s Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language program integrates courses in Linguistics, Education, and
English for Academic and Professional Purposes, resulting in a strong theoretical framework and practical technical skills development.
The program also provides opportunities to observe ESL expert instructors and apply the concepts and skills learned to local learning environments – from traditional classroom to alternative learning settings.
"The Trent TESL Postgraduate Certificate addresses the importance for English teachers around the world to examine their own language development in the context of teaching language, and
instilling the value of cultural understanding as teachers and second language speakers of English."
Cath D'Amico, MA
Director, Trent International
THE TRENT ADVANTAGE
- Step up your professional development with a program designed for non-native ESL teachers
- Gain a credential from a Canadian university
- Flexibility for busy professionals – study in-person / online, full- or part-time
- Content and language integrated learning (CLIL)
- Structured lessons, taught by highly qualified and experienced faculty
- Accredited Languages Canada member program (Trent-ESL)
- Engage with fellow ESL teachers from around the world as you build hands-on, practical skills to advance English language teaching
- Take a career further with a successful program completion may lead to admission to Graduate Diploma in Educational and Community Leadership in Trent’s distinguished School of Education
The Teaching English as a Foreign Language Postgraduate Certificate integrates the teachings from three distinct academic disciplines for a powerful learning and professional development
experience that enhances your language teaching practice with students from early childhood to adult learners. The program features the following five credits / 10 courses:
TRENT-ESL COURSES (1.0 CREDIT)
- Language Development and Pedagogy for ESL Teachers I
- Language Development and Pedagogy for ESLTeachers II
EDUCATION COURSES (2.0 CREDITS):
- Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (CLD) International Education and International
- Teaching (Primary/Junior and Intermediate/Senior)
- Modelling Digital Citizenship through Technology and Social Media Use in the Classroom
- Issues in Planning, Assessment and Evaluation (Primary/Junior and Intermediate/Senior)
LINGUISTICS COURSES (2.0 CREDITS):
- Second Language Acquisition: Theory, Methods, and Practice
DOWNLOAD PROGRAM FLYER
Learn more details about admission requirement, fees and application.
Trent-ESL: English for University
Trent-ESL is an outstanding Academic English program designed to prepare university-bound students for success as undergraduate and graduate students. International students and new Canadians study in the Trent-ESL program to take their English proficiency to a level that allows them to communicate in English in a range of academic and professional settings...