English M.A. (Public Texts)

Applications for September 2020 admissions are now open.

Deadline for applications is February 1, 2020.

In the English M.A. (Public Texts) at Trent University, we explore what it means to “go public” – to “publish” – and how that act resonates for writers, cultures, and publics. Our students will develop new ways of looking at the production and circulation of texts, and at the history and future of texts and publics, exploring emerging issues that are central to research today.

The English M.A. (Public Texts) is the only program in Canada to offer you four ways to complete your degree:  by Internship, by Major Research Paper, by Research Creation, or by Thesis.

In collaboration with the Creative Book Publishing Program at Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, the Public Texts program also offers to a select number of students the opportunity to simultaneously earn an MA degree in English (Public Texts) and an Ontario Graduate Certificate in Creative Book Publishing. This option is available to students in all four streams of the MA program, but is best suited to students in the Internship option who will then have available to them a very wide range of Internships through Humber College’s association with many of Canada’s leading publishers.

Students in the program have access to a large collection of Canadian literature and current editorial projects with which Trent English faculty are associated. Students may also participate in two Graduate Collaborative Specialization programs: Feminist and Gender Studies and Aging Studies.


New Collaborative Specializations available at Trent University

Gender & Feminist Studies

Are you a graduate student with an interest in feminist, decolonial, and social justice research? 
Consider Trent's new Collaborative Specialization in Gender and Feminist Studies! This is an exciting opportunity to enhance your graduate education and extend your research skills.

Aging Studies

As Canadian society experiences a significant demographic shift, and new perspectives on aging become more important than ever before, earn your MA, MSc or PhD along with a specialization in Aging Studies.