Master of Arts in English (Public Texts) M.A.

Applications are now OPEN for 2020

Choose the written or visual material that interests you. Engage with it, explore it and contemplate what it means to “publish" - and much more.

In English (Public Texts) at Trent, you’ll have the freedom to choose your area of focus and the stream that suits your goals.

In as little as one year, earn a Master’s degree in English (Public Texts) while exploring a variety of career tracks in communications, digital or print editing, information science, publishing, teaching, or scholarship.

At Trent, you’ll find freedom and flexibility as you develop new ways of looking at the written word and the implications of “going public.” Whether your interests are academic or applied, you can follow them in one of four fully-funded streams ranging from 12 months to two years. Structure your studies to include a major research paper, a thesis, research-creation project, or a sought-after internship option.

  • Gain leadership and mentorship experience as a teaching assistant.
  • Benefit from renowned faculty expertise in a wide range of issues related to the production, circulation and reception of texts.
  • Earn a specialization in Aging Studies, or Feminist and Gender Studies, as an option.
  • Combine your degree with an Ontario Graduate Certificate in Creative Book Publishing from Humber College. 

English (Public Texts) M.A. website

Program Options

  • M.A.
  • Full- or part-time studies
  • 4 streams to choose from: thesis-based, major research paper, internship or research–creation project
  • 1 to 2 years full-time or 2 to 5 years part-time to complete
  • September intake only

​Admission Requirements

  • Honours degree (a four year undergraduate bachelor's degree) in English Literature or in another field relevant to public texts
  • Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)

    A GRE test score is not required for admission into this program 

Required Documents


Post-secondary transcripts and graduation certificates (where applicable) of all previous undergraduate and graduate work are required.  This includes transcripts for courses taken on a Letter of Permission, for transfer credit, or on an exchange program.   Transcripts must show all course work completed and grades received.   If applicable, evidence of degree completion is required.

Please note: Transcripts are not required to be official and final when applying to the School of Graduate Studies.   Official transcripts are only required to be submitted if an applicant receives an offer of admission.

Previous or current Trent University students do not need to submit a transcript for degree and course work completed at Trent University.   Transcripts must be submitted for any course work completed at another institution – i.e.) study abroad, letter of permission, transfer credit.

Two Letters of Reference

Academic references are preferred; however, professional references will be accepted. Links for your referees to submit an online reference will be sent directly to the referees you have provided on your application. We recommend you contact your referees prior to submitting an application to confirm their availability and contact information. If your referee does not receive the link, you can suggest that your referee check their junk email folder and email setting.  The email may have unintentionally been blocked by their email server.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. It Is required for applicants to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. Applicants who completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the USA are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university where the primary language of instruction is English, the School of Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.

For detailed information about English Language Proficiency requirements, see International Applications

Plan of Study          template

Typically 1-2 pages, outlining applicant's objectives in a graduate program. Any specific research interests (if known), relevant experiences, and/or career aspirations can be included. If a potential supervisor has been discussed, please identify this in your plan of study. 

A Writing Sample

Submit a sample of your writing of about 20 pages or less. Writing samples' preferred format is PDF. Hard copies will not be accepted. Good choices for writing samples include:  an undergraduate essay, lab report, research report, journal article, a chapter from a master's thesis, or a published article. P

Additional information: 

Proof of Citizenship (ie. copy of passport or birth certificate) will be requested, only if an offer of admission is made.

Program contact information:

For any program specific inquiries or current application status, please contact the program directly:

Apply Now