- Conduct and clearly explain sociological research
- Understand group dynamics
- Awareness of cultural differences
- Reaching new conclusions through comparative study
- Utilize statistical applications
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of community resources
- Developing project designs and ideas
- Analyze relationships between factors
- Understand societal development
- Conduct research related to attitudes, beliefs, preference, behaviours and expectations of a particular group
- Interact effectively with people of different backgrounds
- Knowledge of social structures and change
- Communication across cultures
- Visualize how things fit together to form a whole
- Examine data and explore new ways of doing things
- Knowledge of statistics and social research methodology, including data collection and analysis
SAMPLE JOB TITLES
- Foreign Service Officer
- Health Educator
- Intelligence Specialist
- Job/Labour Analyst
- Legislative Aide
- Market Research Analyst
- Parole/Probation Officer
- Policy Analyst
- Recreation Therapist
- Social Science Statistician
- Social Research Analyst
- Social Worker
- Technical Writer
- Urban/Regional Planner
- Advertising and Marketing
- Correctional Centres
- Counselling Services
- Social/Community Service Agencies
- Human Resources
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Labour Relations
- Public Relations
- Careerspace Website - Extensive career development and work search information including tools, links, strategies and assessments.
- Trent University Student Job Board - Look for on- and off-campus opportunities.
- Career Resources on myTrent - Access the following resources through myTrent>Support>Careerspace
- Career Cruising and TypeFocus - Free self-assessments that connect your interests and personality to your career.
- My World Abroad - Provides information, strategies, and tips for anyone considering going abroad for work, study or travel.
- Career Counselling and Résumé Critiques - Get feedback in a one-on-one appointment.
- Career and Work Search Workshops - Register through the Events Calendar.
- Events and Fairs - Your opportunity to meet and network with employers and recruiters on campus.
Professional Associations & Societies
Professional associations and societies can be effective exploration resources as they provide information about careers, job boards, events and professional development opportunities. These groups can be used for networking, so become familiar with them!
- Canadian Anthropology Society
- Canadian Sociological Association
- American Sociological Association
- Canadian Council on Social Development
- International Sociological Association
- Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Canadian Association for Social Work Education
- Canadian Evaluation Society
- Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Opportunities - Internships, Careers, Government Programs
- Trent University Student Job Board
- Social Humanities and Social Sciences Online
- Career Resources for the Sociology Major
- Ontario Internship Program
- Social Workers Action Team
- Work in Non-Profits Canada
- Career Edge
- International Experience Canada
- Federal Government Jobs
- Provincial Government Jobs
- The New Social Worker's Online Career Center
- The Canadian Journalism Project
- Charity Village
- Sociology at Trent University - Courses, news and events, program faculty, resources, and more department information.
- Trent Community Research Centre - Students are matched with local organizations to assist with research, planning and other community development projects for course credit.
- Trent University Student Organizations - Get involved, learn new skills & gain a variety of experiences.
Learn about career paths, seek guidance from people working in diverse professions and industries, and develop your network.
- Networking, Mentoring and Informational Interviewing - Careerspace has tip sheets, workshops and one-on-one appointments to help you develop your network.
- Alumni Programming - Careerspace can help you connect with Trent alumni in your field. Contact us for details and information about special events with alumni.