Office: Lady Eaton College S105
Phone: 748-1011, ext. 7649
B.A. (Manitoba), M.A. (University of Western Ontario), Ph.D. (University of Western Ontario)
Prof. Vickers specializes in various sorts of ancient Greek entertainment, such as athletics, dance, comedy, and especially circus spectacle. His dissertation is titled ‘The Acrobatic Body in Ancient Greek Society’.
- He also works on Greek literature broadly (but especially Aristophanes and Xenophon), and Greek social history as represented in visual media.
- Prof. Vickers was the Crake Doctoral Fellow in Classics at Mount Allison University from 2015-16, where he taught ‘The Body in Ancient Greek Culture’ and ‘Women in Antiquity’.
- In 2016-2017, Prof. Vickers will be teaching:
- AHCL 1401H: The Trojan War I - The Iliad
- AHCL 1402H: The Trojan War II - The Odyssey and the Aeneid
- GREK 1000H: Elementary Greek I
- GREK 1001H: Elementary Greek II
- GREK 2000H: Intermediate Greek I
- GREK 2001H: Intermediate Greek II
- GREK 3001H: Greek Poetry/Prose
“The Presence of Tumbling in Ancient Greek Athletics” (forthcoming with Nikephoros).
“Reading Between the Lions: Thesmophoriazusae 514-16” (under review).
“The Acrobatic Body in Ancient Greek Sport and Spectacle”, at Memorial University of Newfoundland, March 2016: St. John’s, NL (invited talk).
“The Cultural Triumph of Martial Dance in Xenophon’s Anabasis6.1.1-14”, at CAMWS, March 2016: Williamsburg, VA.
“Sport and Society in Canada and Ancient Greece”, at Mount Allison University, January 2016: Sackville, NB (co-organizer and panelist).
“Acrobatics, Eros, and Philosophy in Xenophon’s Symposium”, at the ACA, October 2015: Halifax, NS.
“Make Dance, Not War: Anabasis 6.1.1-14”, at the CAC, May 2015: Toronto, ON.
“Head over Heels for Philosophy: Acrobatic Performance in Xenophon’s Symposium”, at CAMWS, March 2015: Boulder, CO.
“The Presence of Tumbling in Ancient Greek Athletics”, at Sport in der Antike, June 2014: Karl-Franzens-Universität, Graz, Austria.
“Reading Between the Lions: Thesmophoriazusae 514-16”, at CAMWS, March 2014: Waco, TX.