Summer Skills School
This virtual program will bring you tips, lessons, and fun activities focused on the skills you need to successfully progress through a six-week summer course at Trent.
Taking a summer course at Trent? Are you worried about the hectic pace of a six-week course? Want to brush up on some important academic skills, while soaking up some rays? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then grab your sunscreen, shades, and a sharp pencil, and join Academic Skills for Summer Skills School!
This virtual program will bring you tips, lessons, and fun activities focused on the skills you need to successfully progress through a six-week summer course at Trent. We will start by providing tips on time management: creating long and short-term plans for you summer coursework; using the Pomodoro method to get work done; staying motivated in an online course; and more…. Stay tuned for weekly themes on reading, notetaking, writing and grammar tips, studying for exams, and more. This summer, SPF stands for Skills Practice is Fun!
Don’t have time for more school this summer? No worries – you choose the level of involvement that works for you. From simply following our tips on social media, to signing up for an appointment with an Academic Skills Instructor; there are many ways to benefit from Summer Skills School!
- Week 1 – Managing Your Time & Mapping Out Your Semester
- Week 2 – Taking Notes from Online Lectures
- Week 3 – Reading Resources
- Week 4 – Writing and Outlining
- Week 5 – Study Strategies
- Week 6 – Academic Integrity and Online Exams
- Setting Yourself Up for Success in Your Online Class
- Time Management Strategies from Academic Skills
- Tools and Templates to Map Out Your Semester
- Summer Term 1 (2021-S61) Calendar Template
- Summer Term 2 (2021-S62) Calendar Template
- Using the Pomodoro Technique to Get Your Work Done
Week 1 Grammar and Style Video: Capitalization, Introductory phrases, and Parallelism
Week 2 Grammar and Style Video: Commas, Semi-Colons, and Colons
- The 3-Step Process to Help You Read Efficiently and Effectively
- Tips for Reading Scientific Papers
- Tips for Reading in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Tips for Reading Textbooks
- How to Write in University
- Planning Your Assignment
- Prewriting and Making an Outline
- Developing an Argument
- Writing Paragraphs
- How to Use Sources
- How to Edit Your Writing