Meet with an Academic Skills instructor to discuss study skills and organization, clear and critical writing, and essential math skills. Synchronous and asynchronous appointments are available Monday to Friday throughout the academic year.
- Book an appointment in the online booking system
- How can an academic skills instructor help me?
- Writing Skills
- Study Skills
- Math Skills
- Instruction for Grad Students
- How can I meet with an academic skills instructor?
- Appointment FAQs
- How many appointments can I have each semester?
- Will you proofread my paper?
- Will you help me with my take-home exam?
- Other questions
- Health & Safety Protocols
- Instructor contact information
- Personal information collection notice
- Log in with your Trent student credentials.
- Navigate the left menu and Select Peterborough Campus Appointment Bookings or Durham Campus Appointment Bookings based on your home campus.
- Next, select Academic Skills and Book by Appointment Type.
- Select your appointment type (options: synchronous video, asynchronous email, in-person, math skills – remote, math skills – in-person). Select an available appointment for the next 14 days.
- Complete the booking information and select Book Appointment to complete the booking.
- Essay writing: we will provide detailed commentary on your essay draft, teaching you how to become an independent editor of your own work and indicating your strengths and weaknesses
- Essay topics: we can discuss narrowing a topic, finding a thesis, and establishing a direction for research or discussion
- Lab writing : we will discuss strategies for organization, independent editing and research and analysis
- Writing about evidence or using sources: learn about standards for documentation, proper paraphrasing, and strategies to avoid plagiarism
- Time management and study skills
- Exam and test preparation
- Critical reading and thinking
- Navigating the demands of online learning
- Preparation and practice for presentations
- Math skills for Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics
- Math support for students in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
Instruction for Grad Students
- Organization, reading, and writing skills for graduate students
- Information for Graduate Students
We offer both synchronous and asynchronous appointments to make our services accessible for you.
- Synchronous Appointments
- Asynchronous Appointments
- Math Skills and Online Math Help
- Same-day Appointments
Meet in real time for a 45-minute one-on-one appointments for writing skills or study skills instruction, Monday to Friday. The default delivery for a synchronous appointment is Zoom video. These appointments are booked in the online booking system. If you wish to have a remote appointment, but you would prefer to speak over the phone, please inform your instructor in advance of the appointment. If you wish to have an in-person appointment, please contact any college office and take note of health and safety protocols for staff and students (link).
Book a time for an instructor to review your work or answer your questions in an asynchronous online appointment, available Monday to Friday. An instructor will review parts of your work, consider your questions, and offer you feedback via email. These appointments are booked in advance using the online booking system. You can book your online appointment before you complete your draft; just email an updated file to the instructor by 9am on the day of your appointment.
Math Skills Appointments
The math instructor will review concepts and offer opportunities for guided practice of skills. Bring relevant materials, like lecture notes and course texts, as well as samples of your work.
- Math skills in Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics.
- Math support in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
Math Skills appointments are available as synchronous or asynchronous appointments. You can book an appointment in our online system or you can send a question to email@example.com, and the math instructor will send a reply within 24 hours. You may also find our online math resources to be helpful.
Looking for an appointment today? We offer a limited number of same-day appointment bookings, Monday to Friday afternoons, at the Peterborough campus. Same-day appointments open for booking at 9am, and synchronous and asynchronous appointments are available. Note: math skills are not available as a same-day appointment.
In-person appointments will follow safety protocols: both students and staff must adhere to Trent’s vaccination policy, complete Trent’s COVID screening prior to arriving on campus, follow distancing requirements as outlined by Public Health, and wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose. In the case of failed COVID screening or if student or staff are unable to meet in person, the appointment can be held remotely.
Academic Skills collects personal information in order to provide quality service and monitor/ evaluate our services. If you have questions, please contact Academic Skills.