It’s 2020: Meet remotely with an Academic Skills instructor to discuss study skills and organization, clear and critical writing, and essential math skills. Appointments are available Monday to Friday throughout the academic year.
Book an appointment in the online booking system (Log in with your Trent student credentials. Navigate the left menu and Select Peterborough Campus Appointment Bookings. Next, select Academic Skills and Book by Appointment Type. Select a synchronous phone or video appointment or an asynchronous email feedback appointment to book an available appointment in the next 14 days.)
- How can an academic skills instructor help me?
- How can I meet with an academic skills instructor?
- Appointment FAQs
- What should I bring to an appointment?
- How many appointments can I have each semester?
- Will you proofread my paper?
- Will you help me with my take-home exam?
- Other questions
- Instructor contact information
- Personal information collection notice
Our instructors will meet with you to discuss any aspect of your academic work or offer you feedback on written work via email. We support students with:
- Essay writing: we will provide detailed commentary on your essay draft, teaching you how to become an independent editor of your own work and indicating your strengths and weaknesses
- Essay topics: we can discuss narrowing a topic, finding a thesis, and establishing a direction for research or discussion
- Lab writing : we will discuss strategies for organization, independent editing and research and analysis
- Navigating the demands of online learning
- Time management and study skills
- Critical reading and thinking
- Preparation and practice for presentations
- Exam and test preparation
- Math skills for Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics
- Math support for students in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
- Organization, reading, and writing skills for graduate students
Select one of four options for a remote appointment:
- Video Appointment via Zoom
- Phone Appointment
- Online - Written Feedback via Email
- Math Skills and Online Math Help
For all online appointments about written work, we ask that you send a copy of your assignment instructions and your working draft or early notes or questions to the instructor via email at least one hour before your appointment start time.
- Please use only your Trent University email address
- Please attach files as MS word docs or PDF only (we cannot access Google Docs)
45-minute one-on-one appointments for writing skills or study skills instruction, Monday to Friday. An instructor will send you a link for a Zoom meeting in advance of your appointment start time. If you wish to discuss a piece of writing, please send your work in progress and assignment instructions before 9am on the day of your appointment. Video appointments can also cover study skills, such as time management, reading strategies, notetaking, and exam prep.
45-minute appointments are also available by phone, Monday to Friday. Phone appointments are useful to discuss time management, motivation, study skills, and initial ideas for research or writing. An instructor will call you at your appointment time.
Submit a working draft of your paper for an online appointment, available Monday to Friday. An instructor will review parts of your work, consider your questions, and offer you feedback via email. These appointments are booked in advance. You can book your online appointment before you complete your draft; just email an updated file to the instructor by 9am on the day of your appointment.
All Math Skills appointments are currently offered online only. You can book an appointment or you can send a question to email@example.com, and the math instructor will send a reply within 24 hours. You may also find our online math resources to be helpful.
The instructor will review concepts and offer opportunities for guided practice of skills. Bring relevant materials, like lecture notes and course texts, as well as samples of your work.
- Math skills in Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics.
- Math support in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
Looking for an appointment today? We offer a limited number of same-day appointment bookings, Monday to Friday afternoons, at the Peterborough campus. Same-day appointments open for booking at 9am; available appointment options include: video, phone, or written feedback by email. Note: math skills are not available as a same -day appointment, learn more about online math help.
Academic Skills collects personal information in order to provide quality service and monitor/ evaluate our services. If you have questions, please contact Academic Skills.