Academic Skills instructors meet with students in-person and online to discuss study skills and organization, clear and critical writing, and essential math skills.
Note: Academic Skills appointments are not available Tues, May 28 to Fri., May 31, 2019. Math appointments are available Thurs, May 30.
- How can an academic skills instructor help me?
- How can I meet with an academic skills instructor?
- Appointment FAQs
- What should I bring to an appointment?
- How many appointments can I have each semester?
- Will you proofread my paper?
- Will you help me with my take-home exam?
- Other questions
- Instructor contact information
- Personal information collection notice
Our instructors will meet with you in-person to discuss any aspect of your academic work or offer you feedback on written work via email. We support students with:
- Essay writing
- bring in a draft of a work in progress and we will provide detailed commentary on your essay, teaching you how to become an independent editor of your own work and indicating your strengths and weaknesses
- Essay topics
- bring in essay topics to discuss narrowing the topic, finding a thesis, and establishing a direction for research or discussion
- Lab writing
- bring a work in progress and we will discuss strategies for organization, independent editing and research and analysis
- Time management and study skills
- Critical reading and thinking
- Preparation and practice for presentations
- Exam and test preparation
- Math skills for Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics
- Math support for students in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
- Organization, reading, and writing skills for graduate students
- 45-minute one-on-one appointments for writing skills or study skills instruction, Monday to Friday in the college offices. These appointments are booked in advance using the online booking system or at the college office.
- Submit a working draft of your paper for an online appointment, available Monday to Friday. An instructor will review parts of your work, consider your questions, and offer you feedback via email. These appointments are booked in advance. You can book your online appointment before you complete your draft; just email an updated file to the instructor before 9am on the day of your appointment.
- 30-minute appointments for math instruction, available on Thursdays in-person. Book a math appointment using the online booking system.
Online Math Skills Appointments
- Learn more about online math help. Send your question to the Academic Skills Math Instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not able to get an appointment? Have a quick question on writing or studying? 30-minute drop-in slots are available Monday to Thursday during the academic year in Peterborough.
Sign up for drop-in at the college office for the assigned day only. Sign up begins at 12:55pm or when the college office opens following lunch.
Drop-In schedule - ENDS APRIL 11, 2019
Mondays 1-4pm - Gzowski College
Mondays 1-3pm - Traill College (NEW!)
Tuesdays 1-4pm - Otonabee College
Wednesdays 1-4pm - Champlain College
Thursdays 1-4pm - Lady Eaton College
Academic Skills collects personal information in order to provide quality service and monitor/ evaluate our services. If you have questions, please contact Academic Skills.