Academic Skills Individual Appointments
Meet with an Academic Skills instructor to discuss study skills and organization, clear and critical writing, and essential math skills. Synchronous video, in-person, and asynchronous email appointments are available Monday to Friday throughout the academic year and summer term.
- Book an appointment in the online booking system
- How can an academic skills instructor help me?
- Writing Skills
- Study Skills
- Math Skills
- Instruction for Grad Students
- How can I meet with an academic skills instructor?
- Appointment FAQs
- How many appointments can I have each semester?
- Will you proofread my paper?
- Will you help me with my take-home exam?
- Other questions
- Health & Safety Protocols
- Instructor contact information
- Personal information collection notice
Using the online booking system
- Log in to the Student Experience Portal with your Trent student credentials.
- Navigate the left menu and Select Peterborough Campus Appointment Bookings or Durham Campus Appointment Bookings based on your home campus.
- Next, select Academic Skills and Book by Appointment Type.
- Select your appointment type (options: synchronous video, asynchronous email, in-person, math skills – synchronous, math skills – asynchronous). Select an available appointment for the next 14 days.
- Complete the booking information and select Book Appointment to complete the booking.
How can an academic skills instructor help me?
- Essay writing: we will provide detailed commentary on a portion of your essay draft, teaching you how to become an independent editor of your own work and indicating your strengths and weaknesses
- Essay topics: we can discuss narrowing a topic, finding a thesis, and establishing a direction for research or discussion
- Lab writing : we will discuss strategies for organization, independent editing and research and analysis
- Writing about evidence or using sources: learn about standards for documentation, proper paraphrasing, and strategies to avoid plagiarism
- Time management and study skills
- Exam and test preparation
- Critical reading and thinking
- Navigating the demands of online learning
- Preparation and practice for presentations
- Math skills for Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics
- Math support for students in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
Instruction for Grad Students
- Reading critically and efficiently
- Time management, project management, and organization strategies
- Refined writing skills: approaches to planning, drafting, and revising
- Academic Skills services and resources for Graduate students
How can I meet with an academic skills instructor?
Peterborough Campus Appointments
We offer synchronous video, in-person and asynchronous email appointments to make our services accessible for you.
- Synchronous Video Appointments
- In-Person Appointments
- Asynchronous Email Appointments
- Math Skills Appointments (synchronous and asynchronous)
- Same-day Appointments
Synchronous Video Appointments
Meet in real time via Zoom video platform for a 45-minute one-on-one appointment for writing skills or study skills instruction, Monday to Friday. Instructors and students can share screens and use Zoom tools to demonstrate tools for note-taking, exam prep, organization and time management, to examine assignment instructions and talk through how to get started, or to review parts of your work and offer feedback on organization, analysis, use of evidence, clarity, and more.
If you wish to have a remote appointment, but you would prefer to speak over the phone, please inform your instructor in advance of the appointment.
Meet an instructor in-person for a 45-minute one-on-one appointment for writing skills or study skills instruction, Monday to Friday. Ask questions about organization, time management, or study skills; talk through how to get started on an assignment; or seek out feedback on your writing. An instructor can review parts of your work and offer feedback on organization, analysis, use of evidence, clarity, and more.
Book a 45-minute time slot for an instructor to review your work or answer your questions in an asynchronous online appointment, available Monday to Friday. An instructor will review parts of your work, consider your questions, and offer you feedback via email. These appointments are booked in advance using the online booking system. You can book your online appointment before you complete your draft; just email an updated file to the instructor by 9am on the day of your appointment.
Math Skills Appointments
The math instructor will review concepts and offer opportunities for guided practice of skills. Bring relevant materials, like lecture notes and course texts, as well as samples of your work.
- Math skills in Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics.
- Math support in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
Math Skills appointments are available as synchronous or asynchronous appointments. You can book an appointment in our online system or you can send a question to firstname.lastname@example.org, and the math instructor will send a reply within 24 hours. You may also find our online math resources to be helpful.
Looking for an appointment today? We offer a limited number of same-day appointment bookings, Monday to Friday afternoons, at the Peterborough campus. Same-day appointments open for booking at 9am, and synchronous and asynchronous appointments are available. Note: math skills are not available as a same-day appointment.
Durham Campus Appointments
Health and Safety Protocols for In-Person Appointments
As we continue to navigate the changing landscape of the COVID-19 pandemic, we ask that students self-screen prior to an in-person appointment. If you are unwell, please reschedule your appointment or contact your instructor to meet remotely. Following advice from public health guidelines, instructors will wear masks during in-person appointments, and we encourage students to also wear masks during in-person appointments.
Personal Information Collection Notice
Academic Skills collects personal information in order to provide quality service and monitor/ evaluate our services. If you have questions, please contact Academic Skills.