THE WATER QUALITY CENTRE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.
WE WILL CONTINUE TO RESPOND TO E-MAILS BUT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING ANY NEW SAMPLES FOR ANALYSIS UNTIL THE COVID-19 CRISIS IS RESOLVED.
Congratulations to Amanda Orr, Ph.D. student in the EnLS graduate program, her supervisors and the WQC's Naomi Stock on their publication, recently featured on the front cover of the journal Forensic Chemistry:
Orr, Amanda, Theresa Stotesbury, Paul Wilson and Naomi L. Stock. 2019. The use of high-resolution mass spectrometry (HRMS) for the analysis of DNA and other macromolecules: A how-to guide for forensic chemistry. J. Forensic Chemistry 14:
The work was carried out using the WQC's Bruker SolariX-XR FT-ICR. The Bruker SolariX XR (eXtreme Resolution) is a Fourier Transform – Ion Cyclonic Resonance (FT-ICR) mass spectrometer equipped with a 7 T magnet. This instrument is capable of up to 10 million resolution and allows the user to access chemical information, including isotopic fine structure and mass accuracy (< 100 ppb) that was previously inaccessible. A wide variety of applications is possible including complex environmental sample and petroleum product analyses, proteomics studies and metabolomics research.
Congratulations to Lan Ma, recent Ph.D graduate of the EnLS program, Wei Wang, Ph.D. student in the EnLS graduate program, and their co-authors on their publication, recently featured on the front cover of Environmental Science and Technology:
Ma, L., Y-L. Yi, W. Wang, N-Y. Weng, R.D. Evans and W-X. Wang. 2019. Zn Isotope fractionation in the oyster Crassostrea hongkongensis and implications for contaminant source tracking. Environ. Sci. Technol. 53: 6402-6409.
The analyses were carried out using two of the WQC's ICP-MSs, the Nu Plasma2 multicollector ICP-MS and the Agilent 8800 triple quadrupole ICP-MS..
February 11, 2017 - The Ontario Flying Farmers visit the Water Quality Centre
February 17, 2016. The Nu 1700 Multicollector-ICP-MS is delivered to the Water Quality Centre.
The Water Quality Centre partners with the Institute for Information on Agricultural Quality and Food Safety in Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China.
Trent Water Quality Centre staff publish papers helpful to graduate/undergraduate students wanting to use mass mass spectrometry
- Newman, K. 2018. Using Ion−Molecule Reactions To Overcome Spectral Interferences in ICP-MS: A Guided Inquiry Approach for Upper-Level Undergraduate and Graduate Students. Journal of Chemical Education. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.8b00026
- Stock, N.L. 2017. Introducing Graduate Students to High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry (HRMS) using a Hands-On Approach. Journal of Chemical Education 94:1978-1982.DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00569
- Stock, N.L. and Raymond E. March. 2014. Hands-On Electrospray Ionization-Mass Spectrometry for Upper- Level Undergraduate and Graduate Students. Journal of Chemical Education 91:1244-1247. dx.doi.org/10.1021/ed500062w
Graduate students from Nanjing University in China spent a week at the WQC learning about mass spectrometry and specific applications for various instruments.
Learn on one (or more than one) of our many mass spectrometers. Our training courses can be designed to suit your needs - for groups of one to 20 people.
- What instrument should you buy?
- How can it be used?
- What are the basic principles of operation?
- How do you set it up for your particular requirements?
Let us put our expertise to work for you!