Master of Instrumental Chemical Analysis M.ICA

Applications are now OPEN for 2020

Gain the theoretical understanding of how modern instruments work and the skills to operate them in this one-of-a-kind program.

At Trent, you will gain depth as well as breadth in the area of instrumental chemical analysis, preparing you for the workplace. Gain extensive theoretical knowledge, hands-on experience, and problem-solving skills with modern instrumentation and meet the needs of employers.brochure front page of woman student in laboratory holding a sample

The only programs of their kind in North America, Instrumental Chemical Analysis was created in response to the shortage of individuals with an appropriate mix of theoretical and practical knowledge in chemical analysis. Home to the world-renowned Water Quality Centre, Trent has a remarkable array of analytical equipment, primarily mass spectrometers, and associated sample preparation and sample introduction devices, and is perfectly positioned to offer these programs.

In one year, you can gain significant knowledge as well as hands-on experience in instrumental chemical analysis, and be highly employable in positions in government and industry around the world. A practicum placement in the third term provides you with the opportunity to collaborate with government, industry or another academic institution.

Program Options

  • Full-time studies
  • Course-based program with placement
  • M.ICA is 12 months
  • September intake only
  • For other program options, please see G.DIP

Admission Requirements 

  • Students admitted to either the M.ICA degree or the Graduate Diploma will hold a B.Sc. honours degree (a four year undergraduate bachelor's degree) in a relevant science, including biology, chemistry, environmental science, physics or health science
  • Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)

    A GRE test score is not required for admission into this program 

Required Documents


Post-secondary transcripts and graduation certificates (where applicable) of all previous undergraduate and graduate work are required.  This includes transcripts for courses taken on a Letter of Permission, for transfer credit, or on an exchange program.   Transcripts must show all course work completed and grades received.   If applicable, evidence of degree completion is required.

Please note: Transcripts are not required to be official and final when applying to the School of Graduate Studies.   Official transcripts are only required to be submitted if an applicant receives an offer of admission.

Previous or current Trent University students do not need to submit a transcript for degree and course work completed at Trent University.   Transcripts must be submitted for any course work completed at another institution – i.e.) study abroad, letter of permission, transfer credit.

Two Letters of Reference

Academic references are preferred; however, professional references will be accepted. Links for your referees to submit an online reference will be sent directly to the referees you have provided on your application. We recommend you contact your referees prior to submitting an application to confirm their availability and contact information. If your referee does not receive the link, you can suggest that your referee check their junk email folder and email setting.  The email may have unintentionally been blocked by their email server.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in English usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Trent University. It Is required for applicants to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency, regardless of their citizenship status or country of origin. Applicants who completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the USA are exempt from this requirement. If you have completed two or more years of post-secondary education at a university where the primary language of instruction is English, the School of Graduate Studies is prepared to consider alternate proof of English language proficiency.

For detailed information about English Language Proficiency requirements, see International Applications

Additional information: 

Proof of Citizenship (ie. copy of passport or birth certificate) will be requested, only if an offer of admission is made.

Program contact information:

For any program specific inquiries or current application status, please contact the program directly: 


Program Pathway


ICAN 5001H Principles of Mass Spectrometry

ICAN 5002H Principles of Chromatography

ICAN 5003H Quality Assurance and Good Laboratory Practice

ICAN 5004H Quality Control and Data Manipulation

ICAN 5005H Instrument Maintenance and Repair


ICAN 5110H Troubleshooting Analytical Methods and Instruments

ICAN 5111H Project Planning for Practicum

ICAN 5120H Sample Preparation

ICAN 5121H Advanced Spectrometry: ICP-MS and LC-MS-MS

ICAN 5122H Other Analytical Methods Overview


ICAN 5200H Practicum

Apply Now