expand search

Sexual Violence

Abstract circles and lines in blue tones

Sexual Violence

If you have experienced sexual violence

If you, or someone you know, has experienced sexual violence: You are not alone. 

There is a community here to support you. Whatever you choose to do is your decision. Take care of yourself as best you can. 

Here are some options for you:

In Peterborough:

Attend to your physical body:

During office hours (9:00 am – 4:00 pm): Phone or visit Health Services at 705-748-1481, Blackburn Hall 111, Trent University.


After hours: Go to the Peterborough Regional Health Centre’s emergency department and ask for the Sexual Assault On-call Nurse, 1 Hospital Dr, Peterborough. For more information and a Public Service Announcement about sexual assault, please visit their website

Health professionals can help you with Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) tests, pregnancy concerns, and with preventative medicines. They can attend to any pain or injuries that may have been caused in the incident and offer other supports related to your body and your health. 

If you have experienced a recent sexual assault, the Sexual Assault Nurse can collect evidence up to 12 days post assault regardless of showering, but the sooner the better, as there is less and less evidence as the days pass. This evidence is usually kept for 12 months and may be helpful if you choose to report to the police. You don't have to decide in this moment whether to report to the police or not. It is still always a good idea to attend to the physical needs of your body with the support of trained medical professionals. All Sexual Assault Nurse services are free and confidential. 

Attend to your emotional needs and questions:

To make an appointment to receive support and referrals from the Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator, please phone 705-748-1011 x7792 or email robynocean@trentu.ca. The office is on the Trent Symons Campus, Lady Eaton College, Suite N130.

Attend to your safety:

In an emergency situation on campus: Phone Campus Security at 705-748-1333. You can also find a yellow Emergency pole with a call button, blue light and camera on top.

To report the incident, discuss your options, or talk about your safety: Phone Campus Security's office line at 705-748-1328 or visit Blackburn Hall 103.

Note: You can receive support from Security without doing a formal report. 

In Durham:

During office hours (9:00 am – 4:00 pm) Room 111 Durham Campus

Phone the Durham Campus Counsellor, at 905-435-5102 x5024.

After hours

Phone the Durham Region Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Care Centre (Lakeridge Health) 905-576-8711 or visit the Lakeridge Health emergency department, 1 Hospital Court, Oshawa.

Take care of yourself the best you can, and when you're ready to access supports, we are here for you. 

Trent (Peterborough) staff who are trained to receive disclosures:

  • Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator- Robyn Ocean, phone 705-741-8361 x7792
  • Mental Health Strategist- Kate MacIsaac, phone 705-748-1386

For Trent Durham students, the first point of contact is the Personal Counsellor, who can be reached at (905) 435-5102 x5024. More information on the Trent Durham Counseling website