Media Studies is a new, dynamic field, and one that’s vital for understanding the mediated environment that we inhabit every day. In Trent’s Media Studies program, you’ll learn to navigate this environment by marrying theory and practice. You’ll study the influence of advertising and ideology, the economics of media corporations, and the principles of consumer design. You’ll also gain real, hands-on experience: fabricate 3D printed objects; try your hand at circuit bending; shoot on Super 8mm and 16mm film; create fake social media profiles; and more.
About Media Studies at Trent University
Why Media Studies at Trent?
- Draw from an interdisciplinary curriculum including different disciplines in the humanities (like cultural studies), the social sciences (like anthropology), and the sciences (like computing and information systems)
- Situate the media in comparative and historical contexts, learning about its past, analyzing its present, and speculating on its future
- Earn credit for doing media: writing zines, composing music, coding videogames, reporting news, programming radio shows, and more!
- Issues in Global Media
- Digital Media Lab
- Workshop in Experimental Film
- Virtual Worlds: The Anthropology of Online Communities
- Multimedia and Design
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Producing Punk
- Advertising Executive
- Media Consultant
- Content Manager
- Digital Media Office