The Faryon Bridge
Located on Symons Campus, Faryon Bridge, 182 feet long, crosses the Otonabee River, joining the east and west banks and fulfilling the promise expressed in the Master Plan that the Otonabee River would flow through the centre of the Trent University campus. Ron Thom won a design of merit citation in 1971 for this bridge.
"Let us invest in something really big—the Junior College which will pay dividends for generations to come and benefit directly, or indirectly, every man, woman and child in Peterborough." These words were written by Reginald R. Faryon, president of Quaker Oats at the time, in a letter published in the Peterborough Examiner on December 5, 1957. In his letter to the editor, Mr. Faryon argued for applying monies gained from the sale of the Public Utilities Gas Franchise to an outside gas company to the creation of a Junior College in Peterborough. Reginald R. Faryon was an original member of Trent’s Board of Governors, and a strong proponent of what is now Trent’s Symons campus. He is also the namesake for Trent University’s famous Faryon Bridge. Originally built in 1968 by famous designer architect partners Paul Merrick and Ron Thom, the bridge is an incredible 182-foot long expanse of concrete deck and lean supportive bracing.
Faryon Bridge is named after the late Reginald R. Faryon, who was a member of the Trent's original Board and president of the Quaker Oats Company of Canada. He was a strong proponent of the site that is now Trent's Symons Campus.
Learn more about the Reginald Faryon Bridge here