We provide services for:
- Governmental Organizations
Our capabilities include:
- Analysis of trace elements (e.g., As, Fe, Pb, Cd, Cu, Ni, Zn, REE, U) in waters and solids by inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- Metal(loid) speciation (eg., As, Se, Cr) by HPLC- or ion chromatography-ICP-MS)
- Stable and radiogenic isotope ratios (e.g., Sr, Hg, U, Pb, Zn) by multicollector-ICP-MS
- Light stable isotope analysis (δ13C and δ15N of solid organics and δ18O and δ2H of waters)
- Organic contaminant analyses (e.g., estrogens, beta blockers, opioids, other pharmaceuticals, personal care products, PFOA, PFOS, carbamazapine, volatile fatty acids) by organic MS. (List of organic analytes measured at WQC *updated October 2023)
- Compound specific isotope analysis using GC-C/P-IRMS (temporarily unavailable)
- Determination of biotic metabolites
- The services offered by the WQC are generally not available from conventional laboratories.
- We will develop new methods of analysis in novel media. For more information, please contact us.
Our prices vary according to the sample matrix, sample preparation required, type and number of analytes and the number of samples.
Hourly Instrument Use Rates (updated October 2023)
Agilent 8800 ICP-MS
|Nu Plasma 2 MC-ICP-MS||Autosampler Only||$25.00||
|Nu Plasma 2 MC-ICP-MS||with Aridus||$30.00||$60.00|
|Nu Plasma 1700 MC-ICP-MS||Autosampler Only||$25.00||
|Nu Plasma 1700 MC-ICP-MS||with Aridus||$30.00||$60.00|
|Teledyne Leeman Prodigy7 ICP-OES||$25.00||
|Nu (Attom) High Resolution (HR) ICP-MS||$25.00||
|Thermo Q Exactive Orbitrap MS||Direct Infusion (MS Only)||$25.00||
|Thermo Q Exactive Orbitrap MS||with LC||$35.00||$70.00|
|AB Sciex 5500 QTrap MS||
Direct Infusion (MS Only)
AB Sciex 5500 QTrap MS
|Nu Horizon/EuroVector EA-IRMS||$27.50||$55.00|
|Bruker SolariX FTICR-MS||
Direct Infusion (MS Only)
Per Sample Instrument Use Rates (updated October 2023)
* Always contact firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting samples.
* All sample submissions require a completed sample submission sheet.
* Hourly rates for staff time in addition to per hour costs may apply.
Sample Submission Forms:
Prior to submitting your samples for analysis, please contact us and complete the appropriate sample submission form. Include a printed copy of this form with your samples.
- For ICP-MS and MC-ICP-MS
- For organics analyzed by LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, and FTICR-MS
- For δ13C and δ15N of solid organics or δ18O and δ2H of waters
Use of WQC Facilities by External Researchers
We regularly host researchers from other universities and private companies that might otherwise not have access to the highly sophisticated instrumentation that we have available at the WQC. Arrangements are made in advance and depend on availability. For more information, please contact us.
Training at the Water Quality Centre
- The WQC offers orientation and instrument-specific training to all users of the facility. For more information, please contact us.
- Students interested in more intensive training in mass spectrometry should consider the Master of Instrumental Chemical Analysis (M.ICA) graduate program. M.ICA students have the opportunity to work on one, or more, of our many mass spectrometers.
Freeware Program to Analyse Mass Scan Data
The software (Winnow.zip) is available at no charge. Please read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA). By downloading the program you agree to the terms of the EULA.