The following steps outline a typical online course development at Trent University:
- A Chair or Director contacts the Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning with interest or ideas for a course and then completes the Course Development and Redevelopment Application. Note that Trent Online has a budget to offer stipends for course developers. This can be discussed with the Associate Dean.
- Once approved for development, the Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning meets with the Chair, Director, and/or Developer of the course (the faculty subject matter expert) to discuss the project timeline, review the Online Course Developer Agreement, and determine how a developer will be contracted:
- A stipend is offered in cash or
- A course release is offered
- The developer meets with an eLearning Designer, eLearning Technologist, and Multimedia eLearning Design Specialist to plan the course development or redevelopment. This group works together to complete the course, normally within a 16-week timeframe.
- The final stage of course development or redevelopment includes a Quality Assurance (QA) review. Following the completion of QA, including any required follow-up, the course is complete and Trent Online issues the stipend when applicable.
- Trent Online welcomes feedback in the form of a post-development feedback survey.
- It is important that course builds are completed at least one academic term before the course is offered.
Faculty Testimonials on Working with Trent Online
“The best part about working with Trent Online to redevelop my course was working with a team of experts in online course delivery and development. I could not have made my course as it is now without the help of Trent Online, who were able to assist with my ideas for course delivery and make concrete suggestions for how to best organize, design, and facilitate content and assignments.” - Dr. Nicole Fice
“Working with Trent Online was a fantastic experience. They took any creative idea I had for the course and were able to make it a reality – and the execution of those ideas was even better than what I initially imagined. They were also able to provide some great feedback on my ideas based on what worked well in other courses, and any adjustments that were made in other courses from student feedback or use of different online tools.” - Dr. Beth Torrens
“The support from the Trent Online team. I learned many things about course development, student engagement and accessibility.” - Andy Reid
Online Project Development
Trent Online offers a similar approach to developing online projects other than course developments. The application form can be found here.
We look forward to working with you!