International Travel Security for Trent University Faculty, Staff and Graduate Students
FOR INFORMATION ON COVID-19
Please go to one of the following links:
TRAVEL SAFETY INFORMATION
Travelling in an unfamiliar country can be extremely rewarding, but also brings a number of risk exposures that may not exist in Canada. These risk exposures may include unfamiliar laws leading to detention, civil unrest, natural disasters, high crime rates, endemic disease exposure, public health emergencies, war and terrorism. To help faculty, staff and Graduate Students stay safe and healthy when travelling abroad, Trent University strongly recommends that you consult the following resources when planning your trip, and follow the procedures, advisories and guidelines they provide.
- Registration for Canadians Abroad (ROCA) through Global Affairs Canada (GAC). This service enables the Government of Canada to contact you and assist you in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home.
- GAC Travel Advice and Advisories. Faculty and Staff are strongly recommended to follow the four levels of travel advisory and to check for changes to the advisory level both when planning a trip and shortly before departure. This site also provides important information on health including required travel vaccinations, justice, security, transportation, finances and many other country-specific topics.
- The GAC Country Insights webpage. This page provides information on local culture, interpersonal interactions and the do’s and don’ts that differ from those in Canada.
- AIG Global Watch Travelguard. This informative site provides travel resources including on-line travel security awareness training to help keep you safe abroad. Please use policy number 21566496 to log into the site.
- Universities Canada has developed two information bulletins specifically designed to assist researchers and staff with international projects:
- Mitigating Economic and/or Geopolitical Risk in Sensitive Research Projects
- Travel Security for University Researchers and Staff
- Travel Insurance. Trent University offers some medical benefits and Medi-Passports for eligible faculty and staff travelling abroad. With these benefits, you have access to Allianz Global Assistance, service provider to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Be sure to review and know what you are covered for prior to travel. As well, it is important to understand that Allianz Global Assistance reserves the right to suspend, curtail or limit its services in any area, without prior notice; due to conditions such as war, political unrest, epidemics and geographical inaccessibility, travel assistance services may not be available in certain countries. For an up-to-date list, call Allianz Global Assistance before your departure. Additional information on what to look for in travel insurance may be found on the GAC website.
- Trent University Resources. The Activity Risk Management Policy and Procedure will assist you in identifying and mitigating the risks of international travel.
If you experience an emergency situation while travelling, please notify Campus Security at 705-748-1333 24/7. Security will notify appropriate authorities at Trent and in-Canada, as well as your emergency contact, if requested.