expand search

Campus Security

keys on a keychain on a wooden table

Campus Security

Access Control

The Access Control Supervisor is responsible for authorizing and approving access control systems including keys and key cards/pads.

It is the policy of Trent University to safeguard persons and property by controlling access to university buildings to ensure only authorized users of a space have access to that space. Adherence to the Access Control Policy will assist in making your University a safe and secure space Please familiarize yourself with the policy.


*Please use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, fillable forms may be incompatible with other web browsers

View our Designated Authority PowerPoint training presentation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a key/card?

A Trent University Key Request Form must be completed and signed by the Designated Authority for all key/card requests. Key request forms can be faxed to 705-748-1158, or mailed to Security & Access Control Office, Blackburn Hall Rm. 103 or emailed to keys@trentu.ca. When you submit a key request, a financial account number is required. 

When the locksmith completes an order, the Designated Authority will be contacted to make pick up arrangements.  The Designated Authority will secure and sign out the keys to individual recipients, keeping a written record of each key issued and informing the recipient of their responsibilities under this policy. The Key Holder Agreement Form must be completed before keys are issued to any individuals who are not Trent University faculty, staff or students. 

Who is a “Designated Authority”?

Unit Heads are the Designated Access Control Authority for the facilities allocated to their unit.  They may delegate the authority to request and control keys/access cards and/or requisition changes to locks to a staff member using the Access Control Designated Authority Form, which is to be submitted to the Parking & Access Control Supervisor.  All requests for master or sub-master keys must be approved by the appropriate Vice-President and the Director of Risk Management.

What are my responsibilities as a Designated Authority?

The Designated Authorities are responsible to securely store keys/cards in their possession that have not been issued to others.  The Designated Authority is responsible to keep a record of all keys issued to faculty, staff, students, contractors and visitors and ensure those keys are returned when the individual is no longer authorized to have access to that space.

Designated Authorities must ensure that individuals return their keys/cards when they are no longer affiliated with the department, or when they are no longer authorized to access a particular room or building. 

What do I do if I lost my key/card?

All lost or stolen building keys/cards must be reported immediately to Campus Security 705-748-1328.  Campus Security will deactivate your card and complete an incident report. Once the report is created then we can assess the situation and re-issue (or re-order) a card or key.

In order to assist you to efficiently report a lost or stolen key/card you may complete the Report of Lost Key or Access Card (please use Internet Explorer to view this form or save it to your desktop) and submit to security via the online form. 

To reduce the risk associated with a lost or stolen card or key, please do not label the keys or card as Trent University, nor carry any insignia indicating that the key or card might be from Trent.

Once Security has been informed, please inform your Designated Authority.  The Designated Authority will complete a Key Request Form if replacement keys are required and will email fixit@trentu.ca to initiate lock cylinder changes or other lock-related work as required.  The Designated Authority may consult the Parking & Access Control Supervisor to reach a mutual decision on lock changes based on the risk involved.   Costs associated with the missing key/card are borne by the issuing department who may in turn assess these costs against the individual who lost the key/card.  It is recommended that departments create internal policies to clearly outline who is responsible for the cost of replacing lost keys/cards,and any contingent changes to locks and/or any damages or losses to Trent property resulting from the loss of the key/card.

How do I return my keys/cards?

Designated Authorities are to ensure that individuals return their keys/cards when they are no longer affiliated with the department, or when they are no longer authorized to access a particular room or building.  Returned keys may be retained by the Designated Authority for reissue to the replacement staff member, unless they have an employee number stamped on them.  In such cases, the key is to be returned to Access Control for re-stamping.  As well, Designated Authorities will promptly return all keys/cards to Access Control that are no longer required by that department.  Examples include reductions in staff or a reallocation of space.

What constitutes an emergency request?

Emergency requests will be handled as soon as possible.  Emergencies are defined as:

  • The inability to secure a room due to lock malfunction.
  • Loss or theft of a residence room key or the key to a high security space that, due to the circumstances, requires re-keying to maintain security.

After hours emergency requirements may be reported to Campus Security at 705-748-1333.