Laptop computers and other mobile devices are often a thief's target of choice since they are small and portable. We offer the following advice to increase your level of protection:
- Do not leave your mobile device in plain view when unattended, even if your room or office is locked. Inspect your area for locations where laptop computers or other expensive types of equipment are visible from ground floor exterior windows or interior hallway windows. Install curtains, blinds, or other window coverings to hide valuables from open view.
- Store laptops or other mobile devices out of sight in a secure location such as a filing cabinet with a lock or the trunk of your vehicle.
- Close and lock your door when your room, office or work area is left unoccupied. Keep your keys on you at all times.
- Download free "Prey" anti-theft software for Windows, Android and Ubuntu operating systems and iCloud for Macs.
- Computers owned by the university should be indelibly marked in an obvious location as "Trent University, 'YOUR DEPARTMENT' ". Use an indelible marker or an electric scribe. This makes it very difficult to sell the computer on the street.
- Record and keep in a secure location the make, model, serial number, and original cost of the computer.
- Back up your data frequently and do not store sensitive or personal information on your device's hard drive. Consult with your departmental IT representative to determine the method best for you.