Get assistance and resources to help with any technical support you may need while you study. You can also get easy access to the IT Help Desk for technical support and to learn more about the minimum technical requirements for studying online (an invaluable resource for students studying 100% online).
Blackboard Learning Management System
Blackboard is like a Google Classroom or a digital classroom; it’s the place where your online courses are housed and facilitated. It’s accessed through the ‘Academics’ tab on the myTrent student portal. Instructors use Blackboard to display course materials, post assignments, upload assessments and communicate with you throughout the course.
When you log into your courses, it’s good practice to walk through the course to learn how to navigate the various areas. The first page is the ‘Student Dashboard’, where you’ll see the ‘My Courses’ box on the right. You can customize the dashboard by using the ‘Add Module’ and ‘Personalize Page’ buttons. Each instructor customizes their course site within Blackboard, so not all of your classes courses will use the same tools within the system.
Visit the IT page for Blackboard to access user guides and tutorial videos.
Online Exam Proctoring
Trent University has contracted Examity to provide remote proctoring services for specified courses.
How does online proctoring work?
- Examity online proctors monitor students writing exams by remotely connecting to the student’s webcam and microphone on their computer.
- Examity requires a reliable internet connection (A required upload and download speed of 2Mbps, with 10Mbps preferred), a webcam and microphone, and a private place of your choosing to write the exam.
- Examity requires Google Chrome as a browser with pop-up blockers disabled.
- Prior to the exam date, students receive instructions on how to create a profile and schedule their exam time through Blackboard.
- For more information about Examity, please see their FAQ for test-takers
As part of the onboarding process, Trent IT completes a cybersecurity review of 3rd party applications that are in use at the institution, the details of which posted online at: https://www.trentu.ca/it/services/information-security-for-software-acquisitions. Examity has completed this process, and we have determined that their security practices are in line with our standards
Technical Questions & Issues
For help with Blackboard, your Trent ID, or the email system, or if you have tech-specific questions, please contact the IT Help Desk: