Fall Residence Application for New Students
Application Process for September 2022
The residence application for September 2022 will open on Tuesday, March 1st, 2022 at 12:00 pm!
Residence Guarantee: Trent University will guarantee a bed for all new students who apply for residence prior to Wednesday, June 1st, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
The information on this page still refers to the 2021-22 Academic Year. This information will be updated for the 2022-23 Academic Year in the coming weeks.
Looking for our Winter 2022 residence application? It is now open! Visit our Winter Application webpage for more information.
Application Process for September 2021
Waitlist Applications for the 2021-22 Academic Year are now Open
Our campus residences are now full for the 2021-22 Academic Year but we are now accepting applications to our residence waitlist to receive a room if one becomes available. Visit the housing portal in myTrent to apply today!
We have a series of off campus housing resources available for you on our off-campus housing website.
Apply Now to Guarantee Your Spot
You don’t have to wait to receive an offer of admission in order to apply for a room in residence. In fact, you’re encouraged to apply right away. Students at Trent participate in a room selection process and time slots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis—and students who apply sooner rather than later are more likely to obtain their preferred choices of living arrangements (college, Living Learning Community, and/or roommate). And, what’s more, new students who meet the application requirements by the application deadline are guaranteed a room in residence.
How to apply
To apply for a room in residence, please complete the following application requirements:
- Submit a fully completed residence application on the Housing Services Portal along with the $50 non-refundable residence application fee (your way of guaranteeing your spot in the first-come, first-served residence room queue)
- Submit a $500 residence deposit.
Please note: The residence deposit is in addition to your tuition deposit that you will be making as part of the university acceptance process. The residence application fee and application deposit are only taken through the Housing Portal when you apply and cannot be made to your student account.
The 2021 Residence Application is now closed! If you have already applied, log into the portal using your myTrent login and password.
How do I get to the application?
- Login to MyTrent
- Click on the "Support" tab at the top right
- Click Housing Services on the left side menu
- Click on the Housing Portal icon
Note: Bachelor of Education students are not guaranteed residence, but are welcome to apply.
Accessibility & Unique needs in residence
If you are requesting individualized accessibility & unique needs in residence due to medical, disability or religious needs please complete the Accessibility & Unique Needs in Residence request form in the application process and refer to the Accessibility & Unique Needs in Residence request website for additional information.
Residence Learning Communities
If you are applying for a living learning community your application will be reviewed and you will be notified if you have been selected. For more information on Residence Learning Communities available please refer to the Residence Learning Communities page.
How to Apply
- Fill out a Residence Application: applications for the 2021-2022 Academic Year will open on March 1, 2021.
- Complete the Living Learning Community OR Academic Clusters section of the residence application
Living Learning Communities
- Rank your top 3 preferences of Living Learning Community themes
- For each LLC preference, you will be asked to answer three questions about your motivation for applying to the LLC
- Why are you interested in applying for this LLC theme?
- What experiences and/or skills are you hoping to gain while living in the LLC?
- What will you contribute - experiences and/or skills - to the LLC?
If you leave a section blank, your application will be considered incomplete. Please answer all the questions on the application. Applications are reviewed and scored by the Residence Life and Education team following the application deadline at the beginning of June.
Applicants will be selected based on their effectiveness in demonstrating their experiences and genuine interest in the theme of the LLC; a commitment to continuous learning within the theme; and ability to contribute creatively to the theme.
Should you be successful in receiving a placement in one of our Living Learning Communities, you will be assigned a room. If you have selected a roommate on your residence application, you must both be accepted to the same Living Learning Community to live together.
- You can indicate what Academic Cluster you would like to be a part of
- Ackowledge that you will be assigned a room
- Indicate your room preference
You will be notified if you are selected for a community placement, as you will be assigned a residence room.
Will the residence application fee and deposit be refunded if the fall term 2021 is affected by COVID-19?
- Trent University is expecting (and planning for) in-person learning at our Peterborough and Durham campuses for fall 2021 and winter 2022. Recognizing the unique circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the $500 residence deposit for fall 2021 will be refundable, to students who have canceled their residence application prior to June 29, 2021 related to one of the COVID-19 criteria below
- Travel restrictions and/or the ability to secure visas prohibit you from travelling to Trent;
- The University changes the published start date of courses (more than 4 weeks);
- The University experiences significant changes to the method of delivery of courses for fall 2021 (e.g., courses transition from in-person to online delivery); or
- The University is unable to open sufficient rooms to accommodate students as a result of public health guidelines, including physical distance regulations.
If your personal circumstances change, and you wish to cancel your residence application outside of the COVID-19 criteria above, you will be eligible for a refund of $250. You must cancel your application prior to June 29, 2021.
Residence deposits will not be refundable if you cancel after June 29, 2021. Students or families that are adversely affected by the pandemic, either medically or financially, are invited to contact Housing Services to discuss exceptional circumstances to this policy.
Please note, the residence application fee is a non-refundable $50 fee, required to access and use Trent’s Housing Portal application software.
When you’ll hear back from us
You will receive a room selection timeslot letter to your email address on your residence application in early July, provided that you have met all the application requirements by the residence application deadline (11:59 pm on June 1, 2021). Room selection timeslots are ordered on the first-come, first-served residence room queue. When room selection is available to you, you will log into the Housing Portal and select your room from the bed spaces that are available to you.
- July 12th, 2021 - Timeslots to be emailed to the email attached to your residence application
- July 26th, 2021 - Residence self-selection begins
Note: If you have forwarded an accessibility & unique needs in residence request, you will receive a letter with a room assignment prior to the end of June. More information about accessibility & unique needs in residence requests is available on the accessibility & unique needs in residence requests page.
If you have applied and have been accepted into a living-learning community, you will assigned a room in the designated community location, if you have indicated you would like to be part of an Academic Cluster you will be assigned a residence room. More information about our living-learning communities and academic clusters and their locations are available on the Themed Residence Learning Communities page.