Professor and Department Chair
Office: GCS 348
Phone: 705.748.1011 ext. 7897
Office Hours: Tuesday 10:00 - 10:50 am and 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Courses for Fall 2019
- ECON 3110H International Trade
- ECON 4041H Research Methodology in Economics
- Economic History of Canada/North America
- International Economics
- Diffusion of Agricultural Technology
- Trade and Technology
Effect of Tariffs on Welfare
Note: animation will only play in Adobe Reader. They will not work in browser plugins. Download files and open in Reader.
- Bruce Cater and Byron Lew. 2018. The Impact of Climate on the Law of One Price: A Test Using North American Food Prices from the 1920s. Canadian Journal of Economics 51(4) November: 1191–1220. http://doi.org/10.1111/caje.12357
- Byron Lew and Bruce Cater. 2016. "Farm Mechanization on an Otherwise 'Featureless' Plain: Tractor Adoption on the Northern Great Plains and Immigration Policy of the 1920s." Cliometrica.early view.
- Bruce Cater, Byron Lew, and Marcus Pivato. 2016. The Efficiency of Tenure Contracts in Academic Employment. Journal of Public Economic Theory. early view.
- B. Mak Arvin and Byron Lew. Eds. 2015. Handbook on the Economics of Foreign Aid. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Saud Choudhry and Byron Lew. 2015. Is the Boom in East Asian Tourism Happening at the Expense of Other Destinations? A Cross-Country Analysis. The Journal of Developing Areas. 49 (3, Summer): 335-51.
- B. Mak Arvin and Byron Lew. 2014. Does Income Matter in the Happiness-Corruption Relationship? Journal of Economic Studies41(3): 469-90.
- Bruce Cater, Sohee Kang, Byron Lew and Marco Pollanen. 2013. Permanent Injury and the Disability-Mitigating Effects of Education. Economics Bulletin 33(3): 2064-79.
- Bruce Cater, Byron Lew and Barry Smith. 2008. A Theory of Tenure-track Contracts. Education Economics 16(2): 203-18.
- Byron Lew and Bruce Cater. 2006. The Telegraph, Co-ordination of Tramp Shipping, and Growth in World Trade, 1870-1910. European Review of Economic History 10(2): 147-73.
- Byron Lew. 2000. The Diffusion of Tractors on the Canadian Prairies: the Threshold Model and the Problem of Uncertainty. Explorations in Economic History vol. 37 (April), 189-216.
Work in Progress
- Byron Lew and Bruce Cater. "The Language of Opportunity: Canadian Inter-regional and International Migration, 1900-1930" February 2013.
- Byron Lew and Bruce Cater. "Interprovincial Migration in Canada, 1911-1951, and Beyond." May 2011.
- Byron Lew and Marvin McInnis, "World War I and the Expansion of Canadian Wheat Supply."
- Byron Lew and Marvin McInnis, "Guns and Butter: World War I and the Canadian Economy."