TrentUConnect for Students
Because it’s not who you know. It’s who knows you well.
Gain career inspiration and insight from people who’ve been exactly where you are. Find connections to help you find your path to professional success after graduation.
TrentUConnect is a new initiative from Careerspace and Alumni Affairs that brings students, alumni, staff, faculty, and community partners together for meaningful and helpful career conversations, all based on specific career interests, goals, and Trent experiences.
When you sign up to TrentUConnect, you will be introduced to a Trent alumni, staff, faculty, or Trent community partner. The perfect network to ask questions, gain authentic connections and find your career path.
Personalized matches are made for you through TrentUConnect. Then you take it from there. Setup a time to chat over coffee, either in-person or online.
Already have an account? Log in.
What to expect with TrentUConnect:
By tapping into TrentUConnect you can:
- Develop networking skills and build/expand your professional network
- Explore career opportunities
- Learn from the career path and experiences of others
- Enhance professional skills, such as communication, active listening, critical thinking, and social perceptiveness
- Increase your confidence in your job search
- Explore career opportunities and become empowered to make future-focused decisions
How It Works
- You will receive one new introduction once every 4 weeks based on your similar career interests, goals, and Trent experiences.
- Once a match has been made, you can reach out to your connection and suggest a time to chat, in-person at a coffee shop or online from the comfort of your home, to learn from your matches advice and career experience.
- Receive recognition on your Co-Curricular Record, as well as, an official LinkedIn certification to recognize your commitment to continuous learning and self-development.
- Because of the ability to connect online via skype or e-mail, you can connect with mentors from around the globe.
How to Make the Most of Your Connections
- Establish goals for your conversation and consider what you want to learn from your connection.
- Based on your goals, develop a list of questions to learn about your connection’s career path, their current career field, important skill sets, etc. The goal is to ask thoughtful questions to learn about their experiences. Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions – that way, you will get a lot of answers!
- Use this as an opportunity to practice your networking and informational interview skills. Trent alumni, staff, and faculty look forward to hearing from you and connecting with you.
- Practice your professional skills and use this as an opportunity to build/expand your professional network, making strong new contacts to gain a competitive edge in the job market.
- Keep your reputation solid by sticking to your commitments and meeting your regular correspondence requirements.
- Be sure to thank your connection for their time and if it works in your situation, schedule a follow-up conversation.
- Remember, you are representing not only the Trent community, but also your personal brand.
- Sign up to create your profile including first name, last name, e-mail, and password. You will receive an e-mail to confirm your user profile.
- Be sure to sign up using your @trentu.ca e-mail address to verify that you are a Trent University student.
- Check your e-mail to verify your email address.
- Create your user profile to ensure that you are matched with a connection who have things in common with you and can help you achieve your goals. This will include “Edit Preferences” such as Trent Experience (optional), Program, Career Interests, and Goals for Connecting.
- You will start receiving email invitations once you are matched with another TrentUConnect member who shares the same experiences, interests, and goals as you.
- Respond to your TrentUConnect email invitations and set up a time to speak either in-person or online.
- Let Careerspace know about your experience! E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org