- Conduct field studies
- Analyze data, perform statistical analyses, interpret and present results
- Retrieve, classify, manipulate and display data
- Understand and complete population, economic and statistical analysis
- Utilize spreadsheet, statistical, computer and database software
- Report writing and record keeping
- Lab skills – chemical and physical laboratory settings
- Awareness of safety procedures, handling of chemicals, and basic experimental methodology
- Effectively deal with companies, government and communities to study and solve environmental problems
- Species identification
- Use collected data to analyze and understand situations
- Use of sampling devices and chemical analysis instruments
- Oral presentation skills
- Project design and management
- Policy and institutional analysis
- Use GIS, create maps/graphs/charts
SAMPLE JOB TITLES
- Biodiversity Conservation Biologist
- Conservation Officer
- Environmental Consultant
- Field and Stream Rescue Team
- Habitat Restoration Technician
- Landscape Restoration Technician
- Project Manager
- Remediation Specialist
- Research Assistant
- Resource Management
- Restoration Technician
- Shoreline Naturalization
- Soil Technician
- Stewardship Assistant
- Watershed Planning Technician
- Watershed Restorationist
- Woodlands Restoration
- Careerspace Website - Extensive career development and work search information including tools, links, strategies and assessments.
- Trent University Student Job Board - Look for on- and off-campus opportunities.
- Career Resources on myTrent - Access the following resources through myTrent>Support>Careerspace
- Career Cruising and TypeFocus - Free self-assessments that connect your interests and personality to your career.
- My World Abroad - A guide that provides information, strategies, and tips for anyone considering going abroad for work, study or travel.
- Career Counselling and Résumé Critiques - Get feedback in a one-on-one appointment.
- Career and Work Search Workshops - Register through the Events Calendar.
- Events and Fairs - Your opportunity to meet and network with employers and recruiters on campus.
Professional Associations & Societies
Professional associations and societies can be effective exploration resources as they provide information about careers, job boards, events and professional development opportunities. These groups can be used for networking, so become familiar with them!
- The Green Pages
- Ontario Environment Industry Association
- Ontario Society for Ecological Restoration
- Environmental Careers Organization (ECO) Canada; ECO's Job Board
- Canadian Environmental Network; Canadian Environmental Network's Job Board
- Environmental Education & Communication
- Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
- Canadian Institute of Forestry
- Canadian Environmental Law Association
- Conservation Ontario
- Green Communities Canada
Opportunities - Internships, Careers, Government Programs
- Trent University Student Job Board
- Ontario Environment Network
- Ontario Environment Business Directory
- Nature Jobs
- Forestry Jobs in Canada
- Work Cabin Environmental Jobs
- Environmental Job Site
- Career Edge
- Electricity Sector
- Federal Government Jobs
- Provincial Government Jobs
- Environment Canada Careers
- Charity Village
- Ecological Restoration at Trent University – Courses, program faculty, program blog, and more department information.
- Trent Community Research Centre - Students are matched with local organizations to assist with research, planning and other community development projects for course credit.
- Trent University Student Organizations - Get involved in groups that will contribute to learning new skills & gaining a variety of experience.
Learn about career paths, seek guidance from people working in diverse professions and industries, and develop your network.
- Networking, Mentoring and Informational Interviewing - Careerspace has workshops and one-on-one appointments to help you develop your network.
- Alumni Programming - Careerspace can help you connect with Trent alumni in your field. Contact us for details and information about special events with alumni.