Athletics Centre Reopens for Staff & Faculty October 19
The Trent Athletics Centre, home of the Excalibur, is pleased to announce a phased approach to reopening, starting September 1, following the Peterborough Region’s progression to Phase 3 of the Province’s reopening strategy.
The first phase of the Athletics Centre reopening will begin September 1 when the Centre reopens for Trent University students. This first phase also includes access to the Alan Marshall Pool for lane swim for Trent students and for existing contracted groups (Trent Swim Club, Kawartha Trent Synchro Club and Special Olympics Swim Club Peterborough). Trent staff, faculty will be welcomed back to the facility for phase two, expected to begin in October and Community Members are expected to be welcomed back for phase three, in November. Full details of our phased approach are outlined below.
Welcoming you back safely
Following the Trent Forward Plan and guided by the latest public health and provincial directives, the Trent Athletics Centre is taking extra precautions to ensure our community remains safe. These measures include, but are not limited to:
- Screening for all users before entering the facility
- Changes to the facility space to allow for increased physical distancing, including the creation of workout zones in the Sport Centre, gymnasium and group fitness spaces (each workout zone will include cardio and weight equipment)
- Requirements for users to pre-book one-hour workout times through an online booking system (watch for further details)
- Reduced hours and building capacity limitations, with downtime scheduled between workouts to allow for cleaning and disinfecting in between users
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and sanitization of high-touch surfaces throughout the day
- Mandatory use of hand sanitizer before entering the Athletics Centre
- Directional floor markers and signage to support physical distancing
- Physical barriers (between equipment) and use of personal protective equipment
- Mandatory use of face coverings for all students, guests and staff upon entering and exciting the facility, in changerooms and shared indoor spaces – as per public health directives, face coverings can be temporarily removed while actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity
What to expect: Our phased approach to reopening
A careful and phased return to operations will allow us at the Athletics Centre to gradually welcome back our students and members to enjoy the benefits of our facilities while ensuring the health and safety of all.
The first phase, starting September 1, 2020 will be dedicated to our Trent students. In this phase, expected to last approximately 30 days, the Athletics Centre will provide the following categories of programming for Trent students (programs or services will be available for on-site or virtual experiences):
- Access to the Athletics Centre for workout zones (cardio and strength training)
- Excalibur varsity program – return to train sessions (as guided by each National Sport Organization and public health parameters) and strength training and conditioning programs
- Campus recreation based activities utilizing the Athletics Centre, outdoor facilities (Justin Chiu Stadium, beach volleyball courts, East Bank Field), and new programs such as ESports
- Trent Student Club access to outdoor facilities
- Lane swims for students; the Allan Marshall Pool will also be open to existing contracted groups (Trent Swim Club, Kawartha Trent Synchro Club and Special Olympics Swim Club Peterborough)
- Personal training for students
- Group fitness classes, outdoors in Justin Chiu Stadium for the fall, weather permitting
- Health and Wellness Workshops
- Reduced hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Squash courts, indoor rock wall and the rowing tank will remain closed during this first phase
For phase two, beginning October 19, 2020, reopening and access to facilities will be expanded to:
- Existing Trent staff and faculty members
- Allan Marshall Pool open for all members as well as Aquatic Sport Community Clubs (listed above)
- Justin Chiu Stadium and the East Bank Sports Fields access prioritized for students involved with the Excalibur varsity return to train sessions, campus recreation sessions and Trent student clubs; external community sport clubs may rent Justin Chiu Stadium pending availability:
- Increased hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
In phase three we expect to be welcoming back our community members in November.
- Community members will be able to book workout spaces and have access to the Allan Marshall Pool lane bookings
- Additional details will be released closer to our reopening date
Access and plans throughout all phases will be guided by public health directives and may need to be modified accordingly. Updates will be posted and shared as needed.
Join us online
The Athletics Centre will continue to provide remote supports and online resources to help all of our students and members continue to lead healthy lifestyles.
Jump into online personal training for one-on-one programming, join an online yoga or fitness class, and don’t miss our free upcoming health and wellness seminars.
OneExcalibur: Moving Forward
We are excited to be moving toward a safe return to operations at the Athletics Centre and look forward to welcoming back all students and members and returning to more programming when it is safe and appropriate to do so.
To all our students and members at Trent and in the community, we extend a heartfelt thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support. During this time of transition your community memberships will continue to be on hold, allowing you to return when the time is right.
Be well, be safe, and please check back for updates. Together we are One Excalibur.