Developed and taught by Ontario Principals, the Principal Qualification Program (PQP) is intended for Ontario teachers pursuing leadership roles in the province of Ontario. The PQP Program requires teachers to complete two 125 hour courses (Parts 1 and 2) and propose and implement a 60 hour Leadership Experience Practicum in a school where Ontario curriculum is being taught. Each applicant is required to have a practising principal or vice-principal to work with as a mentor, who has working knowledge of the Ontario curriculum and who can oversee implementation of their Leadership Practicum.
- PQP Text to Order: Nuance: Why Some Leaders Succeed and Others Fail by Michael Fullan (used in Parts 1 & 2)
- PQP Delivery: Online*
*asynchronous with the exception of two 1-hour online sessions announced by instructors after courses start; should a schedule conflict occur, students should contact their instructors
|PQP PART 1|
In PQP Part 1, each applicant will complete a 5 module, 125 hour course and submit a proposal for a Leadership Practicum. The Leadership Experience Practicum proposal will provide an outline of a 60 hour practicum. Each participant is required to have an OCT practising principal or vice-principal in an Ontario school or where Ontario curriculum is being taught to oversee their Leadership Practicum. Principal mentors must be practising principals or vice-principals with working knowledge of the Ontario curriculum. The Leadership Practicum is approved in Part 1 and can be implemented after approval is given. Completion of the Leadership Practicum Proposal is a component of Part 1, while implementation of the Leadership Practicum is considered a component the Part 2 course.
Part 1 Prerequisites:
- OCT member in good standing
- Qualified to teach in 3 divisions; one of which must be Intermediate
- Completion of 5 full years of teaching
- Completion of undergraduate degree
- And ONE of the following:
- 2 specialists
- 1 specialist and half a Master degree*
- Master degree* (30 credit equivalent)
* Note about Master degree - If your Master Degree was used for initial certification with the Ontario College of Teachers (instead of a BEd), any credits used for initial certification from your MEd cannot be used again for PQP prerequisites. Only those credits not used in the initial accreditation from your MEd can count towards the credits you want to count towards your PQP prerequisite requirements.
What to Email in when you Register for PQP Part 1?
- Teaching Experience Form signed by school board superintendent confirming completion of 5 years of teaching
- Transcript of Master Degree if being used to meet prerequisite requirements and was also used for initial accreditation with OCT
|PQP PART 2|
In PQP Part 2, each applicant will complete a 5 module, 125 hour course. For Part 2, completion of course modules is required, along with successful implementation of the candidate's approved Leadership Experience Practicum.
- OCT member in good standing
- Completion of PQP Part 1
What to Email in when you Register?
- No submission is required as we will review your online OCT certificate to ensure your PQP Part 1 has been completed