Peer Notetaking Supports
What is peer notetaking?
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides support for students with a wide range of documented disabilities. Access to peer-provided lecture notes is one such support.
There are a variety of reasons why a student registered with SAS may require the assistance of peer-provided lecture notes. All students who are receiving this support have documentation from an licenced diagnosing professional that describes the impact that their disability has on their academics.
Access to peer-provided lecture notes provides allows the recipient student to process the information in a way that best suits their learning style. It allows them to compare & contrast notetaking styles and 'fill-in-the-gaps' in their own set of notes to create a comprehensive and accurate set of lecture notes.
Access to peer notetaking is NOT:
- A replacement for attending class (illness or otherwise)
- A substitute for taking your own notes
- A support to which every student registered with SAS has access
Who are the notetakers?
Notetakers are volunteers. They are Trent students who attend their own classes, take notes as they normally would, and volunteer to share their notes through Peer Notetaking. In sharing their notes, volunteers assist students registered with SAS in accessing the information being presented in class.
Perks of being a volunteer notetaker:
- Invitation to volunteer appreciation events
- Opportunities to win prizes
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are helping to remove barriers to fellow student’s learning
- Upon request, the notetaking coordinator will supply a letter of reference or a certificate at the end of the academic year
- Being a volunteer notetaker is valuable experiential learning and eligible to add to your Co-Curricular Record!
Interested in becoming a volunteer notetaker?
That's great! We're thrilled to have you join us.
It is VERY easy to sign-up as a volunteer notetaker!
Simply login to the SAS Portal and follow the 'Volunteer Notetaker sign-up, login & upload' link and our system will walk you through the process.
You will receive a confirmation email when you are assigned to the courses that you selected your availability to take notes.
Contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.