Spills and Leaks
Spills and Leaks - Radiation, Biohazards or Chemical Agent
Primary Response by Community Members
If you cannot control or contain the spill through individual department procedures, dial Campus Security @ 705-748-1333.
Localized Minor Chemical Spill/Leak
Your department should have control procedures that cover: evacuation of the immediate area; containment, decontamination, and control ; appropriate personal protective equipment; incident documentation and investigation, and notification of the Environmental Health and Safety Officer.
We suggest you familiarize yourself with your department's individual procedure now.
Major Chemical Spill/Leak
If the spill/leak exceeds the capacity of your department's individual procedures or if you are in doubt as to how to handle the spill:
- Evacuate the immediate area.
- Dial 705-748-1333 and inform Campus Security of:
- exact location of spill/leak
- name and nature of chemical, its hazards.
- volume or extent of leak
- any person(s) who may have been contaminated
- Campus Security will then notify the appropriate internal and external agencies.