Forensic Science M.Sc.F.S.
Learn from real case studies and hands-on experiences as part of Canada’s first M.Sc.F.S. in Forensic Science.
Develop critical thinking, leadership and communication skills and apply them all to a future in forensics. Prepare yourself for a position in an exciting field, where you can contribute to, and improve the legal system through an enhanced understanding of: forensic science applications, scientific data interpretation, and the communication of science in a legal context.
The program builds on Trent’s leadership in many areas of forensic science such as law, bloodstain pattern analysis and DNA techniques and applications, and on its B.Sc.F.S. offering.
Through lectures, labs and a four-month placement program, you can be ready to apply your skill sets to the workforce in one year.
There is no longer a need to leave the country to study forensic science at the graduate level. As one of this ground-breaking program’s first graduates, you will be part of a new generation of experts that has learned by doing, and yet well-steeped in the scientific method and in research.
- Full-time studies
- Course-based program, with placement
- 1 year to complete
- B.Sc. honours degree
- Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)
- Experience in Forensic Science or Undergraduate courses relating to Forensic Science, or willing to take such courses, usually before official admission
- A statement detailing the applicant's interest and experience in forensic science is required. The purpose of this statement of interest is to compile additional information for selection among highly qualified applicants and to allow applicants with practical experience, but without the minimum average, to provide support for their entry into the program. The statement should not exceed 500 words (approximately one page).
Prospective students are advised that offers of admission to a new program may be made only after the university’s own quality assurance processes have been completed and the Ontario Universities Council on Quality Assurance has approved the program.
Pending Ministry Approval – Start date Sept. 2018
The Trent Advantage
- Learn from leading faculty members and researchers who have made great contributions to their fields.
- Study with students drawn to the program from across Canada and around the world.
- Experience other communities, institutions and organizations as part of the unique research placement program.